Reduce reuse recycle - 02 Mikuni TMX on a 98 CR250?

23 replies to this topic
  • shrubitup

Posted April 28, 2012 - 10:24 AM

Anybody ever done this? I imagine I would take my 02 intake boot and then bolt on the TMX carb to the 1998 cylinder.

This is not about performance. Just want to make run to sell.

With the to be vacated carb from my '02 it would get a '00 PWK. The nuances are great enough to switch - noticed this directly with my KX that has a clean running PWK. The TMX turns the CR250 into a woman. Very inconsistent responses. Sometimes perfect but oft something's amiss. Lean surge idle comes one day and gone the next even amongst the same air temp and elevation. :banghead:

My 98 CR250's Keihin PJ has seen one too many rebuilds itself whereas the TMX I'd put on it pretty mint. Right now gas flows out the overflow and I've put a new float and float valve in. No improvement. Earlier it would not run without choke on even with a new pilot jet.

Anybody ever bolted up a TMX to a '98 cylinder?

• mynewcr250

Posted April 28, 2012 - 10:43 AM

Anybody ever done this? I imagine I would take my 02 intake boot and then bolt on the TMX carb to the 1998 cylinder.

This is not about performance. Just want to make run to sell.

With the to be vacated carb from my '02 it would get a '00 PWK. The nuances are great enough to switch - noticed this directly with my KX that has a clean running PWK. The TMX turns the CR250 into a woman. Very inconsistent responses. Sometimes perfect but oft something's amiss. Lean surge idle comes one day and gone the next even amongst the same air temp and elevation. :banghead:

My 98 CR250's Keihin PJ has seen one too many rebuilds itself whereas the TMX I'd put on it pretty mint. Right now gas flows out the overflow and I've put a new float and float valve in. No improvement. Earlier it would not run without choke on even with a new pilot jet.

Anybody ever bolted up a TMX to a '98 cylinder?

fyi, there is an oring in the tmx that goes bad and causes fuel coming out of the overflow. its been about 2 years since we replaced it on my buddys 01, but i BELIEVE the oring sits in the brass "holder" that the nozzle/needle jet screws into. just something you can check so when you go to sell the 98, you dont have to explain to the guy how you put in a new float and valve and still have fuel coming out of the overflow.

but no, ive never slapped a tmx to a 98 cr.

• shrubitup

Posted April 28, 2012 - 10:58 AM

fyi, there is an oring in the tmx that goes bad and causes fuel coming out of the overflow. its been about 2 years since we replaced it on my buddys 01, but i BELIEVE the oring sits in the brass "holder" that the nozzle/needle jet screws into. just something you can check so when you go to sell the 98, you dont have to explain to the guy how you put in a new float and valve and still have fuel coming out of the overflow.

but no, ive never slapped a tmx to a 98 cr.

I don't have this issue with a TMX - I have it with my Keihin PJ. Don't plan to sell a bike with a leaky carb hence idea of the swap. Thanks for note on O-ring though - if the TMX ever leaks I will look there.

• mynewcr250

Posted April 28, 2012 - 11:10 AM

I don't have this issue with a TMX - I have it with my Keihin PJ. Don't plan to sell a bike with a leaky carb hence idea of the swap. Thanks for note on O-ring though - if the TMX ever leaks I will look there.

sorry, misread the post. what does the pj jet block look like compared to the pwk? this gasket, which if you believe what you read on the internet is "Unavailable" might be the source of your overflow. its the jet block gasket under the 2 tamper torx screws. the gasket is $3.70 plus shipping. even easier to try this than swapping carbs and boots just to sell the bike. but again, i dont have a PJ so im not sure what the block looks like compared to my pwk.

http://www.jetsrus.c...021_532_su.html
Posted Image

Edited by mynewcr250, April 28, 2012 - 11:18 AM.

• shrubitup

Posted April 28, 2012 - 11:20 AM

sorry, misread the post. what does the pj jet block look like compared to the pwk? this gasket, which if you believe what you read on the internet is "Unavailable" might be the source of your overflow. its the jet block gasket under the 2 tamper torx screws. the gasket is $3.70 plus shipping. even easier to try this than swapping carbs and boots just to sell the bike. but again, i dont have a PJ so im not sure what the block looks like compared to my pwk.

Posted Image

I'm a go find what she looks like today. YES! This could make me very happy. :banghead:

• mynewcr250

Posted April 28, 2012 - 11:22 AM

I'm a go find what she looks like today. YES! This could make me very happy. :banghead:

or very sad lol

• ulmanb

Posted April 28, 2012 - 04:02 PM

Posted Image

thank you for posting this, I have been looking for a source of this gasket for months as I soaked a carb in solvent during cleaning, not realizing this gasket was there, thus ruining it.

• shrubitup

Posted April 28, 2012 - 05:03 PM

this is a gasket at bottom of PWK slide, correct? my PJ slide is different and doesn't have a gasket on it either.

• mynewcr250

Posted April 28, 2012 - 05:43 PM

this is a gasket at bottom of PWK slide, correct? my PJ slide is different and doesn't have a gasket on it either.

its not at the bottom the slide, its under the jet block, where the fuel supply runs through and the main jet attaches to. like i said though, not sure it applies to the PJ carb but figured its good to throw it out there.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

edit: you bring up a good point though, if the PJ slide is different from the pwk then obviously this would be a lost cause. is your PJ slide oval or does it use a D shaped slide like the pwk does?

Edited by mynewcr250, April 28, 2012 - 05:49 PM.

• hallsy

Posted April 28, 2012 - 06:50 PM

thank you for posting this, I have been looking for a source of this gasket for months as I soaked a carb in solvent during cleaning, not realizing this gasket was there, thus ruining it.

A word of caution here!!! Apparently the PWK jet block gasket that is available, is for the long body PWK's. The correct jet block gasket for the short body PWK's is similar but has a much smaller o-ring at position C than the long body gasket.This just came up the other day in the Jetting forum, take a look. http://www.thumperta...t-block-gasket/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • shrubitup

Posted April 28, 2012 - 10:29 PM

its not at the bottom the slide, its under the jet block, where the fuel supply runs through and the main jet attaches to. like i said though, not sure it applies to the PJ carb but figured its good to throw it out there.

edit: you bring up a good point though, if the PJ slide is different from the pwk then obviously this would be a lost cause. is your PJ slide oval or does it use a D shaped slide like the pwk does?

PJ's slide is oval. You have brought up great points here regardless!

Edited by shrubitup, April 28, 2012 - 10:29 PM.

• 2strokes4me

Posted April 28, 2012 - 11:06 PM

I think whoever is going to buy the bike, would probably prefer the leaky PJ to the mint TMX ... just sayin' .... I know I would. :banghead:
I'd spend the 90 bucks and put the proper carb on the bike before selling it, but that is just me.

• MXHalofan

Posted April 29, 2012 - 05:52 AM

Got me thinking about my carb too. Got my new piston in last night and it's still takes a few kicks to start, acts weird, idles weird and leaks through the overflow with the slightest lean of the bike. Sounds like what you got Shrub.

• shrubitup

Posted April 29, 2012 - 08:36 AM

I think whoever is going to buy the bike, would probably prefer the leaky PJ to the mint TMX ... just sayin' .... I know I would. :thumbsup:
I'd spend the 90 bucks and put the proper carb on the bike before selling it, but that is just me.

Another 90 here another 90 there. I forecast to lose $300 on this bike anyway. Balance that with gains I've found elsewhere is what I keep telling myself. :banghead:

Got me thinking about my carb too. Got my new piston in last night and it's still takes a few kicks to start, acts weird, idles weird and leaks through the overflow with the slightest lean of the bike. Sounds like what you got Shrub.

Yer float is too high. I bought another rebuild kit this time with new float. If no better then I will prolly just light this thing on fire. No, I spend mo money on it to make it right. So far I've:
  • put new tires/tubes on it
  • rebuilt top end
  • rebuilt forks
  • installed new rear disk rotor
  • new chain/sprocket
  • repacked silencer
  • rebuilt carb less new float :applause:
  • replaced all plastics
If I hadn't of found my KX I guess I'd be happy with it for a buddy bike.

• mynewcr250

Posted April 29, 2012 - 02:38 PM

Another 90 here another 90 there. I forecast to lose $300 on this bike anyway. Balance that with gains I've found elsewhere is what I keep telling myself. :banghead:

Yer float is too high. I bought another rebuild kit this time with new float. If no better then I will prolly just light this thing on fire. No, I spend mo money on it to make it right. So far I've:

• put new tires/tubes on it
  • rebuilt top end
  • rebuilt forks
  • installed new rear disk rotor
  • new chain/sprocket
  • repacked silencer
  • rebuilt carb less new float :thumbsup:
  • replaced all plastics
If I hadn't of found my KX I guess I'd be happy with it for a buddy bike.

youre on a kawi now? what'd you get? you get rid of your 02 cr? answers, now!

• shrubitup

Posted April 29, 2012 - 03:02 PM

http://www.thumperta...kx250-for-1000/

Have all three bikes right now. That KX is sweet for woods torque!

• mynewcr250

Posted April 29, 2012 - 04:50 PM

hows the power spread compared to the 02 honda? obviously better on the low end, but what about the rest?

• shrubitup

Posted April 29, 2012 - 05:41 PM

Lacking from mid on up. Less snap. Plan to install wiseco pro-lite to help out. Corners very well even compared to the cr.

• mynewcr250

Posted April 29, 2012 - 06:00 PM

Lacking from mid on up. Less snap. Plan to install wiseco pro-lite to help out. Corners very well even compared to the cr.

ive heard that about the kx motors, not really my style of power, but for a dedicated trail bike or maybe if you ride tighter tracks id see it as good bike. honestly, for $1000 AND its an 04....its a good deal however you slice it. nice bike man.

• shrubitup

Posted April 29, 2012 - 09:15 PM

ive heard that about the kx motors, not really my style of power, but for a dedicated trail bike or maybe if you ride tighter tracks id see it as good bike. honestly, for $1000 AND its an 04....its a good deal however you slice it. nice bike man.

Strictly a trail bike. Torque toque and more torque. Even sounds like a big bore. :banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

1999 CR125R Choke installation? by josephduckworth

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

best looking trail bike. by pain99

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  260 replies
Forums
Photo

99 Cr125r not running correctly by josephduckworth

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Restoration CR125 2003 - From Chile by McGrau

• Hot  39 replies
Forums
Photo

Won't Start! Need Help! by Ging3rDedMan

• Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.