What makes throttles so snappy?

12 replies to this topic
  • twistedkeys

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

I was wondering what makes them so snappy on newer bikes? Specifically the throttle tube. Is it lubed? Is it super smooth? Dry? I tried lubing my tube a while ago but since the oil was so heavy it wasn't as quick as I would have liked. Just painted the handlebars and wondering what's the best way to handle this?

• RiderX

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

Probably lack of girt/grime. If you remove the throttle tube from the bars and clean/lube it every now and then it keeps it working smooth.

Buy an aluminum throttle tube that has a bearing at the end if you want a super smooth throttle.

• matt 2778

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:09 AM

Lube your cables. I even find that brand new cables benefit from cable lube.

• Bturner44

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:41 AM

I have a billet throttle tube I just installed and it feels super smooth w/ a good snap. I always use graphite under any throttle tube, clean it on a reg basis, as well as clean the throttle cable with cable lube /cleaner. I also like to leave some play in my throttle and that seems to give it a more snappy feeling...

• William1

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:41 AM

Remove the paint under the thottle - Polish the bar where the throttle tube slides on.
No lube between the throttle tube and the bar or in the throttle housing.
New throttle cables. I never lube them as it attracks dirt. Be sure they are routed 'in a comfortable' manner, no sharp bends.

• Tha Breeze

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

On two strokes they have a spring right above the needle in the carburetor. And then the cable and throttle tube. So not much going on in the carburetor.

On four-strokes they have a little linkage type setup with a wheel and such on the right side of the carburetor and on my bike it's not well sealed. Dirt can accumulate in there and cause it to get grimy and gritty.

On both bikes the cables to eventually need replacing. And they make a BIG difference, if your current ones are getting a bit worn.
Throttle tubes (if not aluminum) and even handlebars, yes handlebars will wear out. I've had the same set of bars on two bikes with at least 200 hours, I'm estimating 250 hours though. There is a noticeable offset groove where the throttle tube goes. Now that doesn't make much of a difference other than causing some play in the throttle tube.

Now for throttle tubes they definitely wear out. I've gone through several because they crack often with me. I've been experiencing them wearing down and getting rough and scratchy on the inside.

I think new cables and an aluminum throttle tube would be a good investment. Tusk makes one for $30 :banghead:

• twistedkeys

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

Some dang good advice here! Thanks guys! Love the graphite idea!

• ekulb14

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

just as a word of caution the aluminum tubes can bend during a crash and pinch. I have no personal experience as i just run plastic tubes and replace with my grips, but just something to think about.

• Bkew

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

Lube your cables. I even find that brand new cables benefit from cable lube.

+1 lubing it always seems to work the best and clean out the housing if there is dirt and grime.

• davbrucas

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

Limp right wrist...

• bushman45

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

Limp right wrist...

strong left hand................

• Thumper35

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

Grease or oil ?

• RiderX

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

Grease or oil ?

I clean the bar, and if necessary take some 220 grit sand paper and lightly sand it smooth, then apply a very thin film of waterproof grease.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

A father following his son's PW50 by DirtDevilDad

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  25 replies
Forums
Photo

If you ride a two stroke please read this! by dvnbuchnn

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Excessive engine braking? by Scralatchtica824

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Stalling at highway speed by 44magdave

• Hot  61 replies
Forums
Photo

Handguard installation by lucky phil

• 11 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.