Back after 6 six years away and I have questions

3 replies to this topic
  • craigincali

Posted April 27, 2012 - 08:08 PM

I have ridden for 20+ years but it has been 6 years since I have had an offroad bike. I picked up a 1999 YZ400F for dirt cheap recently and I have come to realize that I have been out of the loop so long I need help.

This is my first Yamaha as I have always owen KTMs or Huskys prior to this. I am having a hard time finding quality skid plates, radiator guards, and frame savers for my bike. Any help would be appreciated. I have searched many site but I have come up with very little. The skid plate needs to be Alum, thick and high quality.

Tires, tires, tires. I used to run Mich Deserts and Dunlop 9 something. Is it my imagination or is hard to find good 19" tires??

Thanks in advance,
Craig

• RiderX

Posted April 27, 2012 - 08:32 PM

What's your local terrain like? Sand, hardpack, rocky, etc? I get a mix of all of that here in Tx and I run Michelin S12XC rear and a Bridgestone M403 front. The S12 rear isn't great on rocks, but it's good everywhere else.

Here's an MSR brand aluminum skid plate that fits your bike:

http://www.bikebandi...-plate?m=145971

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RiderX

Posted April 27, 2012 - 08:33 PM

Here's a Ricochet brand skid plate:

http://www.rockymoun...late/SKID PLATE

I have this on my 2009 and I like it.

• craigincali

Posted April 28, 2012 - 03:11 PM

I am in Southren California so it mostly sand and soft stuff. Not too much rock. I will look into those tires, thanks for the advice !!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.