First MX Race in Years.

6 replies to this topic
  • scottzx7rr

Posted September 05, 2001 - 09:06 PM

Mind you I have been Roadracing and most recently Harescrambles, so it has been 15 years since I race MX, but I had wanted to do some MX this year and final was able to. Well Monday my buddy talked me into going to Bethany, MO for a mx race that was supposed to be the local fair. But I get there and it was the Northwest Missouri State Fair. Oh dooty I am thinking what have I gotten myself into????? The track is inside the 1/4 dirt track. Start Finish had a tabletop with the first and final corners being on the flat clay surface(slick as ICE), turn two and three where off camber with three leading in to the
whoops, turn four was banked and leaded to the first tabletop, which then lead into a tight banked corner, then the third tabletop and then the final corner finishing with the tabletop on the Start/Finish Line. Well we sign in and get parked. Unload and I proceed to change the rear tire on Eleanor(the bikes nickname, from the movie Gone in 60 Seconds Fame, LOL). Get that done and dang near
had heat stroke as the weather man lied again(oh it is only going to be in the 70's or very low 80's, yeah right it was 100 at the track. LOL So get it finshed and time to have a 1.5 hour riders meeting, this guy could talk. Well first they told us that they were going to run us for a few parade laps and then later run the Heat Laps and then the mains. Well they combined the Parade and Heat Laps.
So I got lucky and won my heat. That gave me lane choice in the Main without even knowing. LOL So we get to the finals and I line up
against the other 4-stroke B class and then two stroke B class as there wasn't enough for a individual class race. I get the holeshot
and lead all the laps(much to the surprise of myself, LOL) On the White Flag lap I get passed going into the last corner as I started to ease up(big mistake) but I pass him over the tabletop on the front straight and then he passes me back as he has the inside line going into one. He stays on the gas not letting me outbrake him, but going
into two I go outside knowning that he already late breaked to push me outside on the first corner. As he was trying to keep me outside I slammed on the brakes and dove inside on turn three wheeling through
the whoops taking the lead back for good. It was a blast and got a nice kiss from the hot trophy girl. Got a trophy bigger than my
daughter that was pretty cool for her as it now resides in her room, she won't give it back. LOL With everything that happened this year(fighting cancer) it was nice to go out and have this much fun. Had a blast with riding buddies, old racing friends(Carl, A Class Rider) and I were banging bars in the heat race which was a blast). Made some new
friends. But most of all just spent a day on the bike.

Sorry for the long post guys, just wanted to share.

------------------
Scott #410
Some Fear Racing "Cause if you don't have any you ain't going fast enough"
'99 YZ400F(Coming to a Theater near you soon)
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
"Doesn't hurt till the bone is exposed"
"When cut do you bleed green? I do!"
Pics

• Boit

Posted September 06, 2001 - 12:01 AM

Sounds like you experienced a little bit of the magic known as "living". Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much. ...

• dirtdad

Posted September 06, 2001 - 02:15 AM

One of the more enjoyable posts I've read in a long time. Good job Scott and congratulations!

------------------
00 YZ426F
01 TT-R125L (my son's)
74 Hodaka Super Combat(gone but not forgotten!)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • scottzx7rr

Posted September 06, 2001 - 03:20 AM

Thanks Guys. It really was a great slice of life. I might have to try more of the MX scene. LOL

------------------
Scott #410
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
Pics

• Ga426owner1

Posted September 06, 2001 - 03:34 AM

Scott,great thread! Monday you found Moto-Nirvana! To me that is what amateur & weekend racing is all about. I am too old & too slow to be a motoXstar, but can live the dream almost every weekend......& there are a heck of a lot of nice riders, families & track owners that I have met, become friends with and that share a enduring love for this sport. That is what makes riding/racing enjoyable to me & that is why I find myself at peace & willing to put forth 110% being involved in this sport. It is truely "my thing" --- Unfortunately, we need more trophy girls -here in the S.E. Congrats on your win!

• scottzx7rr

Posted September 06, 2001 - 03:45 AM

I second that about being too old. It was a great Birthday Present for me also. As it was my B-Day also. LOL Maybe God felt like giving me a present but I will be greedy and take it.

I know what you mean about great friends. My racing buddy had to sell his bike to start his business. He just got a bike back a couple of weeks ago. It was his first race back, so for us it was just great racing with him again. That is normally the high point of any race weekend spending it b/sing with friends and new people.

------------------
Scott #410
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
Pics

• yzernie

Posted September 06, 2001 - 05:23 AM

Originally posted by scottzx7rr:
the high point of race weekend spending it with friends

Scott,

You nailed that one!! I have have a high stress job and I truly appreciate the race weekends. When I am there with my friends I don't have a second thought about work. Like the old saying goes....A Bad Day At The Race Track Is Better Than The Best Day At Work :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.