Pre 09 wheel conversion solution?

5 replies to this topic
  • mliebal

Posted April 27, 2012 - 08:59 AM

I just got a 09 450 and ran up against the issue of using my 06 YZ250 wheels on the "new to me" ride.
I went ahead and took some measurements and got a local machine shop to make a conversion steel spacer kit for me.
I am using the 06 axle with these spacers running through the axle blocks and swing arm. These spacers get captured between the head of the axle (or nut on other side) and the inner wheel spacer.
Any issues doing this?

BTW, if there is any interest I can get some additional spacers made for others.

Greensboro, NC

• RiderX

Posted April 27, 2012 - 11:42 AM

I may be interested in the future. There's probably a good market for those if you where to have several made.

• grayracer513

Posted April 27, 2012 - 12:31 PM

The "issue" is basically that the sleeve, or spacer, as you call it, is only 1.5mm thick, so it's easy to damage.

I helped a friend of mine with this problem by taking a pair of '08 axle blocks and boring them to press fit a 25mm sleeve into it. The sleeve extends through the block and 90% of the swing arm width, so the axle is supported in the normal manner. Her uses his '09 wheels with the '09 blocks and axle, and his '07 wheels with the custom blocks and the old axle.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz450fcranker

Posted May 02, 2012 - 01:30 AM

get a new hub for the wheel to accomodate the 09 axle

• grayracer513

Posted May 02, 2012 - 07:03 AM

Hey, there's a good solution. That way, he can spend 6 or 7 hours trying to get his used rim and spoke set to lace up straight, and it will only cost him $250 or so to use his old wheel. :banghead:

I got the impression that he was looking for something simpler and less expensive.

• mliebal

Posted May 03, 2012 - 03:24 AM

Thanks guys. Yep, quick, but effective solution is what I wanted. This way, i can swap the wheel set back and forth to the 06 YZ250. If you got em, smoke em!
The 1.5mm thickness is no worries, It gets sandwiched between the axle and the swing arm slots, and it is tight over the axle.. I just wanted the sleeve to be the right length to pickup the steel inside linner to the swing arm.
Done deal!

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.