Which tire is more street/highway friendly? Shinko 244 or TKC80?

11 replies to this topic
  • Excite-Bike

Posted April 26, 2012 - 11:12 AM

Posted Image Posted Image

• grumpy400

Posted April 26, 2012 - 11:55 AM

Sir not appearing in this film

• One Less Harley

Posted April 26, 2012 - 12:38 PM

Shinko, also look at the 700 series more of a road tire than the 244. The TKC won't last as long (cost way more $$$)as either the 244 or 700. I got 5000 miles my rear 700 the front is still going strong.

• Excite-Bike

Posted April 26, 2012 - 12:45 PM

Shinko, also look at the 700 series more of a road tire than the 244. The TKC won't last as long (cost way more $$$)as either the 244 or 700. I got 5000 miles my rear 700 the front is still going strong.

Think there's any truth to the old saying "You get what you pay for" in this case?

• DRZ-Nut

Posted April 26, 2012 - 01:34 PM

Think there's any truth to the old saying "You get what you pay for" in this case?

Nope.

• One Less Harley

Posted April 26, 2012 - 02:51 PM

if expecting an off road tire then yes, but yeah in this case for a road tire no. I've heard the 244 is ok off road. Moderate conditions I'm sure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toadl

Posted April 26, 2012 - 04:26 PM

I really like Bridestone TW301 and 302's. They do everything better then you'd expect, unless you expect knobbie performance off road.

• JoeMongo

Posted April 26, 2012 - 04:43 PM

Well, I've never used the Shinko tire, and I've only used the TKC80 on El Cerdo Grande, my 600 lb pig of a BMW, but . . . .

I've never been able to wear out a TKC80. They seem to last forever. I know I've put over 6K (mostly street) miles on each of them in the past. I've gone through three or more sets, and I've only changed a TKC80 because I was about to leave on a very long trip and wanted fresh tires, or once in Baja I changed the rear tire because I got tired of carrying the replacement around on the back of my bike (look closely at the back of my bike below). I think that the damn things last forever. In addition, I once earned a performance award in far western Utah for travelling at triple digit speeds while riding on them. You know those long straight roads get kinda boring.

I wouldn't use TKC80s if I was going to be riding seriously steep loose crap or in deep mud, or needed razor sharp handling in tricky woods riding, but I've been happy with them in sand and on lesser mud and hardish packed steep climbs. I don't think it's possible to tear the blocks off no matter how heavy your bike is or how fast you go on pavement (see "performance award" above). The tread appears to be made of iron.

If I was going to ride my DRZ from San Francisco to New Mexico to start the Continental Divide Trail, ride the 3K mile trail, and then ride all the way home from Banff on the northern mountain roads of BC, Montana, Idaho, Oregon and NorCal, I'd put TKC80s on my DRZ and they'd probably last the entire trip. Hmmnnnn . . . . maybe I should order up a set.

Posted Image

• Excite-Bike

Posted April 29, 2012 - 07:45 PM

if expecting an off road tire then yes, but yeah in this case for a road tire no. I've heard the 244 is ok off road. Moderate conditions I'm sure.

Yes, to what?

• One Less Harley

Posted April 30, 2012 - 02:07 PM

does that clear it up for you???

• Excite-Bike

Posted May 16, 2012 - 04:30 PM

So to be clear, the Shinko 244 is a better freeway tire than the TKC80?

• One Less Harley

Posted May 16, 2012 - 05:49 PM

yes, cheaper too

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.