New 2010 YZ450F Owner =D

17 replies to this topic
  • AliGee

Posted April 26, 2012 - 06:53 AM

Hey all!

Just thought I'd say hello as I will be a frequenter in the 400 club now! I moved over to the dark side from the YZ250 2t's and bought a 2010 YZ450F. Could not be more excited! I live at 10,500ft and ride 50% track, 50% rocky mountain trails. The bike is mostly stock besides a spark arrestor... Feel free to throw any recommendations at me! New to the EFI but very excited to have it with riding at so many different altitudes. :banghead:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by AliGee, April 26, 2012 - 08:48 AM.

• BigGreenMachineNL

Posted April 26, 2012 - 05:15 PM

Nice looking ride. Get your suspension dialed and buy the GYTR rad braces, good tires and go.

• AliGee

Posted April 26, 2012 - 05:23 PM

Nice looking ride. Get your suspension dialed and buy the GYTR rad braces, good tires and go.

Thanks! Suspension is always a first... It's hard getting a big bike dialed for a 5'5" 130lb chick. HAHA.

• yz-moto

Posted April 26, 2012 - 07:03 PM

Looks very nice. I also just picked up a 2010 two weeks ago. I moved up from a '06 yz450f. You will love it!

• MANIAC998

Posted April 27, 2012 - 05:09 AM

Very nice bike! And welcome to the Yamaha 4 stroke club!!!
Maniac

• grayracer513

Posted April 27, 2012 - 07:53 AM

Thanks! Suspension is always a first... It's hard getting a big bike dialed for a 5'5" 130lb chick. HAHA.

You need lighter springs for that weight. Not much point in trying to get the rest of it to work until you do. :banghead:

• AliGee

Posted April 27, 2012 - 10:38 AM

You need lighter springs for that weight. Not much point in trying to get the rest of it to work until you do. :banghead:

Haha ohhh you don't need to tell me! LOL Already on it! Thanks to the EFI I'll have a lot more time to spend dialing in the suspension than dialing in the damn jetting.

• AliGee

Posted April 29, 2012 - 03:25 PM

Took it to the track for the first time today after getting the suspension dialed for my weight... All I gotta say is WOW!!! What a machine compared to my 250 smoker... It was definitely two much bottom end in first gear (unlike my 250) but once I got her up into the higher gears MAN what a ride!!! Smooth, predictable, and powerful! So fun to take corners... Feels so planted. No need to baby the clutch... no need to rev way up before hitting the jumps. I kept riding it thinking "I can't believe this is my bike!" Best feeling in the world. :banghead: (And I broke her in by laying her down twice, haha!)

Posted Image

• AliGee

Posted April 30, 2012 - 10:45 AM

Took it to the track for the first time today after getting the suspension dialed for my weight... All I gotta say is WOW!!! What a machine compared to my 250 smoker... It was definitely two much bottom end in first gear (unlike my 250) but once I got her up into the higher gears MAN what a ride!!! Smooth, predictable, and powerful! So fun to take corners... Feels so planted. No need to baby the clutch... no need to rev way up before hitting the jumps. I kept riding it thinking "I can't believe this is my bike!" Best feeling in the world. :thumbsup: (And I broke her in by laying her down twice, haha!)

Posted Image

By the way, can anyone tell me what that red piece is on my right fork guard? I've seen it on most pro MX race bikes but don't have a clue what it's for... :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted April 30, 2012 - 11:02 AM

By the way, can anyone tell me what that red piece is on my right fork guard? I've seen it on most pro MX race bikes but don't have a clue what it's for... :banghead:

It's used when you start a race... you compress your forks and have someone push that button and it locks the front end in a lowered position for the start. As soon as you hit a bump it releases. Often called a holeshot device.

• grayracer513

Posted April 30, 2012 - 12:54 PM

It's used when you start a race... you compress your forks and have someone push that button and it locks the front end in a lowered position for the start. As soon as you hit a bump it releases. Often called a holeshot device.

...the purpose of which is to help reduce the tendency for the bike to wheelie off the line.

• AliGee

Posted April 30, 2012 - 01:54 PM

...the purpose of which is to help reduce the tendency for the bike to wheelie off the line.

HAHA DOH! (Clearly I'm not a racer). Thanks for the info! Always heard of those... Just never made the connection. :banghead:

• rdefonce

Posted May 02, 2012 - 08:26 AM

HAHA DOH! (Clearly I'm not a racer). Thanks for the info! Always heard of those... Just never made the connection. :banghead:

You are a bad-a$$ woman, riding that bike.;-)
Congrats on your new ride, and it's great that you like it.

We've found that FI works SO GOOD at high altitudes (we go once a year Col, Ouray and Montrose areas) that I'll never take another carbureted bike there. Even a well-jetted bike just doesn't work as well.

You've probably discovered the same thing . . . since you ride there year-round!

• AliGee

Posted May 02, 2012 - 09:53 AM

You are a bad-a$$ woman, riding that bike.;-)
Congrats on your new ride, and it's great that you like it.

We've found that FI works SO GOOD at high altitudes (we go once a year Col, Ouray and Montrose areas) that I'll never take another carbureted bike there. Even a well-jetted bike just doesn't work as well.

You've probably discovered the same thing . . . since you ride there year-round!

Thanks so much!! :banghead: :thumbsup: :applause: :) I've been told, baha! I guess I just like to have fun. People tell me I don't "need" a 450... Of course I don't NEED one!! But it sure is fun as hell!! And yes the FI up here is a DREAM!! It seemed like we would get our bikes jetted and as soon as it changed 10 degrees they were bogging down... Could never get them right! It's safe to say my boyfriend is now on the hunt for one of these bad boys himself.

• grayracer513

Posted May 02, 2012 - 10:30 AM

My response is usually, "well then, what do I need?" They usually stumble around some and can never come up with much.

After all, what's not to like about an engine that's always somewhere in its power range as long as it's anywhere above an idle, and has a response to the throttle that is so absolutely predictable and controllable?

• viggen

Posted May 02, 2012 - 11:05 AM

HOT.... bikes pretty sweet to :thumbsup:

I am actually looking at snagging a '10 450f, if you don't mind me asking what did you pay? The one I found is at a dealership... used..... $5K. Didn't know if that's a good or bad price.

If I could only talk my wife into a motorcycle.... (she did tell me a rm250 she road years ago was way to much power) ..... she wants a quad, a non racing quad..... ugh :banghead:

• AliGee

Posted May 02, 2012 - 01:53 PM

My response is usually, "well then, what do I need?" They usually stumble around some and can never come up with much.

After all, what's not to like about an engine that's always somewhere in its power range as long as it's anywhere above an idle, and has a response to the throttle that is so absolutely predictable and controllable?

HAHA! Amen to that!!!!

HOT.... bikes pretty sweet to :thumbsup:

I am actually looking at snagging a '10 450f, if you don't mind me asking what did you pay? The one I found is at a dealership... used..... $5K. Didn't know if that's a good or bad price.

If I could only talk my wife into a motorcycle.... (she did tell me a rm250 she road years ago was way to much power) ..... she wants a quad, a non racing quad..... ugh :banghead:

Hahaha thank you! :applause:

It was listed on craigslist for $4800. I ended up talking him down to $4450. Bike came with extras and the GTYR power tuner. I've seen a few other '10's listed on craigslist in the high 4g low 5g range. I will say I got a deal though... The guy had two of them and his wife wanted the loan gone that was on this bike, so he had to sell it ASAP. Also gained some more riding buddies as well. Can't beat that!!

Edited by AliGee, May 02, 2012 - 02:04 PM.

• viggen

Posted May 03, 2012 - 12:16 PM

:banghead:

& thanks for the info!! Hopefully early next week I can check out the 450f & with some luck buy it. Have a few bikes I hope to check out this weekend for the kids.....

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.