YZ 426 clutch issue

3 replies to this topic
  • gscx

Posted April 25, 2012 - 10:10 PM

So I bought a Barnett clutch basket and installed it on my bike almost exactly one year ago. I heard a pop while a whirring noise when I landed off a jump the other day, I turned the bike off and started it back up and rode the rest of the day with no issues. So the nest day I took the side cover off and took the clutch plates out then see a hole in the clutch basket... It wore through where the cushion spring sits on the back of the basket. It was on its way on doing the same on the spring right next to it. For those of you that have seen the assembly that Barnett uses they have a sleeve that goes between the clutch basket and the spring that keeps this from happening. Is there something wrong with my springs? I could use some help on what has happened here. I'm at a loss and don't want to keep on buying new baskets and this keeps happening, a year is not long enough in my mind for this type of wear. But maybe i'm wrong? Im calling Barnett tomorrow and finding out what they have to say. I would love any help with this. Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted April 26, 2012 - 06:47 AM

It sounds as if some of the springs may be damaged (bent so that they push out from center as they compress).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gscx

Posted April 26, 2012 - 10:04 AM

That sounds pretty possible, ill check them later. And I assume that there isnt anywhere to buy these springs? I will have to buy a used clutch from ebay and get them? Gray what do you think damaged them? A specific event or did this happen because they are old. The spring have some wear on them. But all of them do, not just the ones that wore through.

• grayracer513

Posted April 26, 2012 - 10:28 AM

Probably just mileage. If you have springs, you probably have an older bike, right? The newer 450's use plastic/rubber inserts in place of the springs. Neither these nor the springs you have are available separately from Yamaha, although I believe Wiseco and Barnett offer the plastic dampers. But that doesn't help you at all.

Either a new or used complete clutch basket and driven gear is the only way I know of to get those replaced.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.