2009 WR450 Speedo / Odo = Going Crazy!

11 replies to this topic
  • ThumpingWR400

Posted April 25, 2012 - 02:53 PM

Hey Guys,

i was looking at a second hand 2009 WR450 i was thinking of buying. There is two issues with the speedo / odo.

1) ODO no longer displays. The buyer said when he bought the bike the odo read around 6000kms. Then one day the odo dissappeared, and he could no longer get it back. Trip meter and speed readings are still there.

2) the speedo has a mind of its own.. on the test ride it read speads of 198km/h and i hadnt even got out of 1st gear. even when stopped it was jumping around. the seller recond he put too much grease in the assembly on the hub of the front wheel where it reads the speed from..

anyone got any thoughts??

• Stealth13

Posted April 26, 2012 - 06:11 AM

Take the tire off, the black round piece that faces into the rim, clean that . Maybe the sensor is reading wrong?

• woods-rider

Posted April 26, 2012 - 06:19 AM

Do the WRs down under have an actual odometer in addition to the trip meters? If so, I am jealous.

• Stealth13

Posted April 26, 2012 - 07:33 AM

Do the WRs down under have an actual odometer in addition to the trip meters? If so, I am jealous.

My Canada one has an odometer that goes to 99999

• woods-rider

Posted April 26, 2012 - 07:48 AM

My Canada one has an odometer that goes to 99999

And this is not a resetable tripmeter?

I have two trip meters, but both are resetable and go to zero if the computer is disconnected from the battery at any point.

Edited by woods-rider, April 26, 2012 - 07:49 AM.

• Stealth13

Posted April 26, 2012 - 08:11 AM

Mine saves it I had the battery off a few times

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Zombatar

Posted April 26, 2012 - 10:00 AM

Mine saves it I had the battery off a few times

Same here. Unfortunately, I have two tripimeters and they are both resettable on my 2011.

• kawi380

Posted April 27, 2012 - 05:11 AM

Yep, for some reason here in the US we don't get the odo :thumbsup: just the two trips. I use one for each ride and the other as an odo with some tic marks for every time it rolls around the horn.

Any way I would check the stuff at the wheel and go to the user's manual for some instructions on how to reset... :banghead:

• Taxgod4u

Posted April 27, 2012 - 12:20 PM

I pulled the battery on both our 2011's and the "B" odo's did not reset itself to zero.

• Zombatar

Posted April 27, 2012 - 03:36 PM

I pulled the battery on both our 2011's and the "B" odo's did not reset itself to zero.

Correct, but you can reset them both. Fortunately, disconecting the battery does not reset them.

• huero

Posted April 29, 2012 - 12:59 PM

Mine was doing this the other day. I blew a fuse. It was one of the two fuses in front of the battery. You have to pull a connector and a little plastic cover to get to the fuses. Hope this helps..

Huero

• _N8_

Posted February 23, 2014 - 02:27 PM

Anybody else experience this or have any suggestions?  Last ride out last year mine did this and then blew a fuse.  I replaced the fuse and it runs but the display doesn't come on at all now.  Much like the OP, mine was going all wacky showing crazy speeds and stuff.  I rode it around a little today and it seems normal, but I have no dash.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.