Calling Scott F - Electric Bike Man

9 replies to this topic
  • Ga426owner

Posted September 05, 2001 - 03:44 AM

Scott, As MXTuner & I were rebuilding front forks last night, I saw a copy of Cycle News from June/July 01. In it contained article on the Electric Bike that you built. Scott, what a concept. The article was very interesting & thought provoking. What ever happened to this concept Bike? Have any of the manufacturers had any interest in this one-off technology? Do you think that there may be a future for this???? Kudos to you for building a really cool, concept.

• Scott_F

Posted September 05, 2001 - 06:40 AM

Thanks. I haven't had much response, but those who do comment think it's neat. The manufacturers and investors haven't been knocking my door down. I don't know what the future may bring, but it does have potential.

I am currently redesigning the drive system on it. The previous jackshaft and sprockets were too weak and got wasted. The new stuff will work great. After that's done, I will sandblast and paint the frame, and reassemble it. Then I will have something to ride until the new 250F arrives.

I'm looking forward to riding again, now that my Achilles is recovering well.

• DaveJ

Posted September 05, 2001 - 08:57 AM

Scott,

Is this that electric motocross bike?

Or something else?

Would like to check this out. Any links?

DaveJ

• Scott_F

Posted September 05, 2001 - 09:10 PM

Yeah Dave, it's about my EMX bike. No links, but Cycle News did a big two page article on it in issue #28. If you like, maybe I can post a picture or two of it here, or I can email jpegs to anyone interested.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 05, 2001 - 09:18 PM

Scott F, how long does the power last before you have to recharge the system? Also, is weight a factor -- meaning, does it weigh more or less than a combustion chambered bike??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scott_F

Posted September 05, 2001 - 09:44 PM

Ga, you hit on the two biggest questions I get. With the current batteries I get a few strong laps before I notice a loss of power. It recharges in about an hour. I decided performance was more important than runtime, and it goes pretty good.

It weighs about 285. It isn't that bad because the batteries are as low as possible, giving a low CG.

• Ga426owner1

Posted September 05, 2001 - 10:51 AM

ScottF, maybe Lithium Ions or some new high tech battery offerings would be the key on longer power delivery. Doesn't NASA have something that would work? At 285lbs, how does the suspension act? I guess some real aggressive valving is in order.......w/bottoming cones!

• Scott_F

Posted September 06, 2001 - 06:41 AM

I'm sure NASA, the military, EV companies and other high tech industries have superior batteries. I'm hoping my friend who lurks here can hook me up with his family's military battery company. The big problem with such batteries are lack of availability (vaporware), high prices, and rechargeability.

For what little track time that I have on this bike, the suspension and handling worked surprisingly well. Upgrades are anticipated when I get more time on it. Bottoming cones should be here this week.

• Shawbridge Husky

Posted September 06, 2001 - 06:57 AM

Hey, posting a picture would be great! How would I go about ordering a back issue of cycle news? Does this bike have a transmission?

• Scott_F

Posted September 06, 2001 - 07:46 AM

Check cyclenews.com for back issues.

It's a single speed right now. I might try a two speed in the future.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.