2006 wr450 stock suspension settings.

5 replies to this topic
  • 40yooldguysrule

Posted April 24, 2012 - 02:27 PM

Hello to all,
Just got a new to me 2006 wr450. I can not find the correct stock settings for the forks and shock. Also, can anyone tell me which is which for the rear shock concerning low speed, hi speed compression, and rebound. I see lots of dials on that thing but they are not labeled. I have downloaded the manual, but cannot find this info in it. Thanks alot to any responders. I rode it for the first time, and loved the motor, the previous owner dialed in the jetting, but I can tell the clickers are way off! At least I hope so, the fork is harsh on small square edged stuff,especially under breaking, but soft every where else, and tends to pogo when cornering. I already set the sag to 3.5 inches. I am 210lbs (220 with gear), fast, but not near as fast a I think I am, and will be riding mx, desert, trails, so any good compromises from stock settings would be appriciated as well. The bike has stock springs, but Im hoping to start with stock settings first, and go from there.
Thanks again.

• redhurricane

Posted April 24, 2012 - 03:36 PM

if you weigh 220 with gear you will not be able to get sag set correctly with stock springs. As a fellow 200+ with gear on rider of a 2006 WR450, I will tell you it's the BEST MONEY SPENT GETTING THE CORRECT SPRINGS (front and rear) for your weight. Then set sag, and ride. Once you get comfortable with settings, consider a revalve front and rear. I chose the race tech route and did it myself, very happy with the results. I should have done this years ago.

• Rocky739

Posted April 25, 2012 - 04:02 AM

I agree, the WR comes way undersprung for any of us over the 200lbs mark. I always recommend finding a good suspension shop that can get the correct springs for you and do at least a oil and seal change then ride and determine if you need to re-valve. If its a 2006 and hasn't had the shock serviced its way overdue anyways. As redhurricane said if you set the rider sag then you will have way too preload on the stock spring. Look on here for the suspension forum I believe there is a pretty good pinned thread about setting your clickers.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 40yooldguysrule

Posted April 25, 2012 - 04:33 AM

Sweet, thanks a bunch, Springs it is. Thanks also for the recommendation for the suspension thread. I want to give back alittle by recommending the ODI lock on grips. May be this is common knowledge, but these grips are awesome!!!! Learned this trick with mountian bikes, and was stoked to see them for motos!! No more overglued, safety wired, slipping grips. Remember rubber side down!!!

• Rocky739

Posted April 25, 2012 - 05:00 AM

Sweet, thanks a bunch, Springs it is. Thanks also for the recommendation for the suspension thread. I want to give back alittle by recommending the ODI lock on grips. May be this is common knowledge, but these grips are awesome!!!! Learned this trick with mountian bikes, and was stoked to see them for motos!! No more overglued, safety wired, slipping grips. Remember rubber side down!!!

Sweet a mountain bike guy! Funny enough that I use Renthal grips on my MTB (a bit of moto for the pedal bike)!
If you cant find or don't have a good suspension shop around let me know I've got a great source for aftermarket springs and service.

• YamaLink

Posted April 25, 2012 - 04:20 PM

Go to http://racetech.com/ChooseVehicle.aspx and find the correct spring rates.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.