Getting my 2003 WR 450 dialed in

24 replies to this topic
  • E4x4Eric

Posted April 05, 2013 - 08:30 PM

That sounds like a big hassle... your pictures look good though, nice work... but I took the easy road and paid the $189 for the clutch cover for the 2007 quad... no mods required!

The kickstarter is a problem, but I found one for a 2005 WR450 on ebay at a reasonable price. At least now I don't have to worry about the kick shaft breaking as easily as the 2003 ones can!

Like you said time will tell if it helps any but it sure can't hurt... Yamaha would not have made the effort to do the oil nozzle if there were not some benefit to be had.

Good info and do you have a part # for the clutch cover since I have been brain storming this for a while

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted April 05, 2013 - 09:04 PM

Good info and do you have a part # for the clutch cover since I have been brain storming this for a while

Part number is 5D3-15431-00

http://www.partzilla...5431-00-00.html

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rocky739

Posted April 08, 2013 - 05:23 AM

That sounds like a big hassle... your pictures look good though, nice work... but I took the easy road and paid the $189 for the clutch cover for the 2007 quad... no mods required!

The kickstarter is a problem, but I found one for a 2005 WR450 on ebay at a reasonable price. At least now I don't have to worry about the kick shaft breaking as easily as the 2003 ones can!

Like you said time will tell if it helps any but it sure can't hurt... Yamaha would not have made the effort to do the oil nozzle if there were not some benefit to be had.

I would have updated to a new case but after factoring in a messy divorce plus alimony and child support it was simply too expensive, (she did let me go ride all weekend in Tennessee so I can't bitch).
Really wasn't that big of a deal, worst part was that my friend lives a hour and a half from me so I had to make two trips there to pick up and drop off the case, but I have a company car with free gas so just a bit of time really, and we get to hang out and have a couple beers while I'm there. Plus I like to tinker and do this sorta thing so I just figure its cheaper than therapy.

I put 100 really tough miles on it this weekend at the Lorreta Lynn trail ride and the bike ran great, I think the oil pump makes the motor a litte quieter, maybe just in my head but never the less I feel better knowing the oil pump is upgraded and the nozzle is spraying the wristpin down with oil as I abuse the crap out of it!

Besides the oil nozzle this was my first ride on the FMF Q4 slip on. I was very impressed as it really did help with low end pull, the bike had a flat spot in the power right off bottom with the stock unit and GYTR insert, nothing unrideable but just didn't pull like a 450 should.

Next mod?? Maybe some guts seat foam as the stock foam sucks.. And I need a new set of tires as mine look like they have been in a meat grinder and I ripped off a bunch of front side knobs this weekend.

• tighe

Posted June 01, 2013 - 09:06 PM

great thread. Thanks for the link. Did you make any jetting adjustments for the Q4?

• Rocky739

Posted June 02, 2013 - 07:18 AM

great thread. Thanks for the link. Did you make any jetting adjustments for the Q4?

No, jetting didn't change from stock with insert to the Q4. It did clean up a dead spot right above idle so I'm finally pleased, well now I want YZ cams to give it some hit...

I've never really played with the main jet as I never really have used it. I have a 178 in there now I think. Maybe someday I'll do some cornfield drag racing and dial that in (I think it can go bigger) but for now I'm at 48PJ, NCVQ(3rd cilp) needle, 178 main, 50 leak along with the blocked off ACV and shorter AC pump diaphram, HD spring and so on... I also have the airbox opened up as much as I feel comfortable cutting out the right side. It still isn't the tractor my brothers Beta 450 was but I don't think there is anything to make it run like that.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.