Flywheel weight / If so? How Much?

4 replies to this topic
  • Wyatt

Posted September 04, 2001 - 06:00 PM

I am considering putting a weighted flywheel on my 426. I ride about a 50/50 mix of woods and mx riding.

The newest issue of MX Action magazine did a article on Steahly weights for the 250f. They pointed out that the weighted flywheel would not fit behind a DSP carbon fiber cover, and they stated that it was for this reason that Ramsey's and Fonseca's bikes have stock ignition covers. I noticed that Tim Ferry's bike has a stock igniton cover also. Could he be running a weighted flywheel on the 426?

I am considering the weight because I am under the impression that it will smooth my power delivery (better traction) and make my bike less prone to stalling. The weights that I have seen come in 10, 12, and 14oz sizes. I have no idea what size to get. I fear that too much weight will rob my bike of its snap. I also wonder if this modification could place too much stress on the crank.

Steahly sells a complete weighted flywheel for $199. Could anyone give me some advice on this subject? I don't want to waist two bills.

• Jason_in_KC

Posted September 05, 2001 - 06:39 AM

I run a Ty Davis 12oz on my 01yz, I like it. After you ride with it for a while you forget its there. I put it on at a guys house that has a track in his back yard. He has a small double right out of a right hander. I over jumped it rolling on the throttle in 3rd many times, the extra traction and smoother power are most noticeable, it helped starting also. Good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • john.hilton@cape.k12.de.u

Posted September 07, 2001 - 03:23 PM

I have a Steahly 12oz. weighted flywheel on my 01 YZ 426, and I love it... I ride in the tight woods of PA (Tower City), and it works great. Now that I don't ride the bike like a 2-stroke anymore, I almost never stall it. It still has LOTS of snap.
Would highly recommend !!!
John

• dhvann

Posted September 07, 2001 - 08:29 PM

I put the Steahly 12oz on my 01 426 and it's by bar the best $200 I've spent on this bike. Absolutely needed for woods riding. You wont be sorry. I ride 50/50 MX and woods also.

• John_H

Posted September 08, 2001 - 04:13 PM

does the Steahly have a spacer that makes the case cover stick out about 1/4 inch like the Terry Cable kit? (to make room for the bigger flywheel)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.