1983 Honda XR200R Review questions

2 replies to this topic
  • panthers06232

Posted April 23, 2012 - 01:53 PM

I am just trying to get an overview of this bike just bought it. Wondering things like top speed reliability how good will it climb because i ride in a gravel pit a lot can it handle that just anything you know about them. I bought it from the second owner for 400 bucks runs great pretty good shape i even got the original owners manual with it was that a good deal.

• Super Boo

Posted April 23, 2012 - 02:36 PM

My '83 XR-200R was my first "real" dirtbike. A very reliable bike if you change the oil frequently and keep the air filter clean. I remember it being a two valve head, which was actually considered a plus over the 4 valve heads at the time.

Suspension is fine for exploring/easy trail riding. I think the XR200 actually lost suspension travel on later year models, so the 83 is good. If you push it hard though, you'll find out its shortcomings pretty quick. Still, I jumped mine frequently, often landing flat from 4'-6' up in the air (hard on the bike, hard on you). For reference I was 15 at the time and probably weighed 160#.

I couldn't tell you what the top speed is anymore. They originally sold w/ speedometers but alot of owners took them off, you know, for performance :banghead:

It's a great bike to learn on. One thing I hated is it often won the "womens bike of the year" title in one of the mags. Don't let that bum you too much, it's a great bike for what it is.

• scotteroni

Posted April 24, 2012 - 05:54 PM

I think your looking at 50-55 top speed with stock gearing without winding out the motor too much. That xr is a pure woods and trail bike. The motor is not powerful enough for alot of deep sandy area riding though.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

what kind of dirt bike should i get by tim1511

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

CRF 80 XR 80 Suspension Rear Shock Fix by WAKTMRider

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Valve Seal Problem by SouthShore_Boy

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR/CRF 80-200
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

I need Opinion on an Issue for XR200R by vfrriderus

• 9 replies
Forums
Photo

XR200R Modification Guide by Quick Draw

• Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.