6 replies to this topic
  • iron_savior

Posted October 19, 2003 - 09:38 PM

greetings fellow thumpers,

just a silly question - whats the difference between
a drybreak tank or a screw type tank :D

and whats the most popular tank you guys use,
the stock tanks is ridiculous - i spend half my time worrying about my fuel level, :D

4.6 gal should be alright ,hey

thanks for replying if you do. :)

• Dutch

Posted October 20, 2003 - 03:59 AM

The "drybreak" style is used with a special gas can for speedy fills during races. You just stick the can in the tank, no cap to remove.
As far as aftermarket tanks as concerned, the Clarke 4.3 is my favorite. The IMS 3.2 looks good also if 1/2 gallon more is enough.

• qadsan

Posted October 20, 2003 - 07:41 AM

You can dump in 2 gallons of fuel per second with a dry brake system, so refills are very quick. If you go with a dry brake tank, then you'll need to buy a dry brake receiver for your tank which will cost you another $200 on top of the tank purchase. Then you'll have to buy a dry brake dump can with a male probe and either buy or make a stand for it. The dry brake dump can, make probe, dust cap & stand runs about $600. You'll be looking at spending about a grand between the tank, receiver, dump can, male probe, dust cap & stand by the time your done with it.

Both GPR & IMS also make 'trail caps' for dry brake tanks and they cost about $80. They simply bolt in place of the dry brake receiver and provide a screw on cap fitting for when you're not racing. I have both the Clarke 4.3 and the IMS 3.2 tanks. They both fit well, but the Clarke gives you much better range if you plan to ride a long ways. The Clarke is a little over an inch wider than the IMS 3.2 at its widest point, but its not too wide to be uncomfortable. I prefer the stock tank size, but I've often found myself on reserve and heading back to camp early because I was low on fuel. The IMS 3.2 is about right for most of my riding and I like its smaller size better than the Clarke, but I wish it held an additional half gallon of fuel for those occassional 100+ mile trail rides that requires my Clarke.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yooper_porkchop

Posted October 20, 2003 - 08:36 AM

Are you riding a R or an L. I have a L and installed the Clarke, holds 4.7 U.S. gallons I have never run it into reserve as of yet

• jws

Posted October 20, 2003 - 11:19 AM

i have the natural color clarke 4.3 thanks to the guys on this list. :D i can see my fuel level at all times - not that i need too i have run several 100 plus mile days and have had plenty of gas. my stock tank would hit reserve at about 50-55 miles into my ride. very happy with the fit and quality of the clarke.

jeff :)

• Rokatt88

Posted October 20, 2003 - 12:50 PM

Clarke 4.3 & IMS 3.2 = Good! :D

IMS 4.6 Globlin Tank = Bad :D

Rokatt Report, Over & Out! :)

• iron_savior

Posted October 20, 2003 - 09:04 PM

thanks guys - i really appreciate your feedback :)

Related Content

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.