best sprocket gearing for dunes & trails?

13 replies to this topic
  • PismoRat

Posted October 19, 2003 - 07:25 PM

I mostly ride fast desert and trails, with some street rides. I like high speeds, but still need good low end for tight trails. I have stock gearing on it now, but its a 642cc with a hot cam now, so will it need to change??

• qadsan

Posted October 19, 2003 - 08:47 PM

If the stock gearing seems a bit too tall for you now, then you might want to consider changing the front 14T sprocket to a 13T to gear down a bit. It's quick, easy and inexpensive to change and you'll still get close to ~90 MPH for top speed. This was one of my favorite mods for the type of trail riding I was doing before I got my z-Start.

If you've got to have the 100+ MPH top speed and don't want to gear down, then consider an autoclutch product like the z-Start and you can run even taller gearing such as 15/48 for ~104 MPH top speed and you'll still be able to handle the tight stuff thanks to the z-Start.

• slowxr

Posted February 08, 2004 - 11:43 AM

I've got stock gearing on my 650r. I have no interest in top speed but have the most fun in 3rd and 4th gear. Does going down a tooth on the front sprocket make the bike pull harder and/or get into the meat of the powerband sooner?
And does the smaller front sprocket create any alignment issues with the chain and chain guides etc?

• Dwight_Rudder

Posted February 08, 2004 - 12:01 PM

You probably should stay stock or go to a 46T rear sprocket.
Stock will get you 95mph+.
Cher'o,
Dwight Rudder

• qadsan

Posted February 08, 2004 - 05:27 PM

Does going down a tooth on the front sprocket make the bike pull harder and/or get into the meat of the powerband sooner?

Yes it does.

And does the smaller front sprocket create any alignment issues with the chain and chain guides etc?

No it does not.

• Carlisle1972

Posted February 09, 2004 - 02:46 PM

the 13t seems to stay in the more useable rpm's more than the 14t stock, if you are doing tight trails it enables you to run 2nd gear more rather than high 1st which in my opinion is better because the bike doesn't slow down as much in low 2nd compared to a high rpm 1st and it has quicker throttle response, so to me its able to go about 10% - 20% faster in tight sections

• slowxr

Posted February 09, 2004 - 02:57 PM

My speed comfort level is about 50 mph on a smooth fireroad, so top speed isn't what I'm after.
I'm more interested in having the explosion of power quicker. If different gearing will accomplish this, that's what I want to do.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • big t

Posted February 09, 2004 - 09:48 PM

I'm running 13/50 and the bike is great. Still way to fast for me on top speed.

• slowxr

Posted February 10, 2004 - 07:21 AM

When you go down in gearing, does that dramatically reduce your gas mileage? Currently I'm getting about 60 miles till I hit reserve. I'm figuring I would still be running at the same rpm's but I'm not sure. Any idea's?

• Carlisle1972

Posted February 10, 2004 - 07:31 AM

I didnt see a huge difference in gas milage

• qadsan

Posted February 10, 2004 - 07:42 AM

When you go down in gearing, does that dramatically reduce your gas mileage?

Yes, it will likely reduce your MPG, but not greatly. My MPG varies a lot with how hard I twist my wrist. If I ride hard MX type riding where I'm frequently transitioning to WOT, then I'll be lucky to get 20 MPG at best. I get ~25 MPG riding many slower trails and closer to ~30 to ~35 MPG when things speed up a good bit. In the wide open, I can get closer to ~40 MPG while taking it easy, but it's been a while since I've checked this all out and my memory might be a bit fuzzy on this. It didn't take long before I bought an aftermarket fuel tank :)

• slowxr

Posted February 10, 2004 - 08:03 AM

Thanks. I was able to get over 80 miles till reserve on my Xr600 and now I'm down to 60 miles on my 650. I was really surprised at the difference.
I guess I'll be looking into a larger tank also!

• Toast

Posted February 10, 2004 - 04:00 PM

If it's running on the fat side you'll get worse milage too.

• huntmaster

Posted February 12, 2004 - 03:56 AM

Thanks. I was able to get over 80 miles till reserve on my Xr600 and now I'm down to 60 miles on my 650. I was really surprised at the difference.
I guess I'll be looking into a larger tank also!

I've never been able to match the mileage of my old 600 with the newer 650. It was most noticeable after doing the "de-corking" process after the bike was broken in.

Gearing is always a compromise. I have been able to ride tight n' tough northeast trails and the open spaces of Nevada with stock gearing. If I was doing a large amount of one or the other I would probably gear accordingly, but the stock gearing covers the bases pretty well all things considered. The torque of that motor does help deal with tallish gearing in relatively tight places.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.