WR450f Rear Light Wiring Question

7 replies to this topic
  • bhiggins25

Posted April 22, 2012 - 07:41 AM

Hi all,

While I am fairly adept mechanically, I readily admit that electric just isn't my thing.

I have a brand-new UFO rear fender for my '04, with the taillight under the fender like on later models. The challenge is that the wires on the new fender are bare...no way to plug into the female connector on the bike.

So my questions are...is there some way to easily pull the male connector off the OEM rear fender? Barring that, I may have to do some cutting. What size are these wires? And what would be a suitable replacement connector? I have an electric crimping pliers, but virually no knowledge in this area. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Rocky739

Posted April 22, 2012 - 03:57 PM

This is what I have been doing today in the garage myself.
My thoughts are if you only want the tail light and arent wiring up a brake then keep the OE plug on the harness and splice the one from the tail lamp so you dont cut the harness. If you are doing a brake light addition and the third wire that comes along with that then go to radio shack and get part# 274 234 / 274 224 connectors so it will hook up.
Good luck and I share your dislike of electrical.

• zibbit u2

Posted April 23, 2012 - 10:14 PM

You could de-pin the connector, or order a new connector w/pins from here;

http://easternbeaver...040/nt-040.html

• Rocky739

Posted April 24, 2012 - 05:54 AM

You could de-pin the connector, or order a new connector w/pins from here;

http://easternbeaver...040/nt-040.html

Thats AWESOME!!!!!!! Oh well my Radio Shack ones are ok but I'd rather have the oem looking one.. Great find and cool name.. hehe

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zibbit u2

Posted April 24, 2012 - 12:53 PM

I built a complete headlight to taillight wiring harness using easternbeaver (for OEM connectors), corsa technic/snapon (for the proper ratcheting crimper tool/wire stripper), and steinair (for teflon wires). It was an expensive & very time consuming venture, but in the end the final product is MUCH better/durable than the OEM harness, plus now the bike has a full lighting kit to make it street legal. (it's posted in my thread towards around pg 3-6). I just couldn't believe that a 04 WR450 actually has pretty close to 450ft worth of wiring within the harness.

• Rocky739

Posted April 24, 2012 - 05:41 PM

I built a complete headlight to taillight wiring harness using easternbeaver (for OEM connectors), corsa technic/snapon (for the proper ratcheting crimper tool/wire stripper), and steinair (for teflon wires). It was an expensive & very time consuming venture, but in the end the final product is MUCH better/durable than the OEM harness, plus now the bike has a full lighting kit to make it street legal. (it's posted in my thread towards around pg 3-6). I just couldn't believe that a 04 WR450 actually has pretty close to 450ft worth of wiring within the harness.

You are my hero!

• zibbit u2

Posted April 24, 2012 - 05:59 PM

You are my hero!

ok thanks.... I think.

• bhiggins25

Posted April 30, 2012 - 12:24 PM

Thanks all. This was helpful, and I had not seen the easternbeaver link for the OEM connectors before.

For future reference, on my 2004 WR450f the blue wire is for the taillight and the black is ground. On the UFO fender, the white wire is for the taillight, the brown is ground, and the white and green wire is presumably for a brake light.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.