'00 426 inner hub failure

1 reply to this topic
  • holeshot

Posted September 04, 2001 - 06:35 AM

The inner hub (not the basket) recently failed on my ’00 426. The splined steel inner sleeve that goes over the shaft began to spin within the aluminum hub. Although it was only torqued to about 10 foot pounds from the factory, it was not loose new, and it was torqued to specs per manual when I removed it several months ago. The nut was tight when the basket failed.

When I first looked at the hub over a year ago, I was able to rotate it and wiggle it a bit on the sleeve, even though the nut was torqued tightly. On subsequent inspections, it seemed that the hub was getting looser at the sleeve, and two weeks ago, it seemed that I could rotate it about an eighth of a turn. Shifting had been kind of hard since new and just before it failed, the clutch wouldn’t disengage completely, because the pressure plate came off at an angle. When it failed, I had neutral (no drive) in all five gears. Why didn’t I replace it sooner? Because I initially thought the free play was part of the design – doh! A big alarm should have gone off inside my head when there was an eight of a turn of play, but I only heard a small beep.

Fortunately, Hinson was within driving distance, so I picked up a new inner hub and noticed that it’s solid aluminum, without the steel sleeve.

Now for the good news – I replaced the last friction plate with the ’01 parts (before the hub failed completely) and found that these parts cure the chattery clutch problem and with the new hub, I can actually shift without breaking my toe.

------------------
Holeshot's Page

[This message has been edited by holeshot (edited September 04, 2001).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boit

Posted September 04, 2001 - 08:37 PM

When I installed a Hinson basket about a year ago, I didn't even notice that the inner hub had the steel sleeve. I'm glad you posted this as I will inspect my clutch again soon. Not that I've had any problems since the Hinson, it just seems like a good idea to take a look. I may just go ahead and install the Hinson hub and be done with it.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.