damaged WR stator - do I need this thing?

3 replies to this topic
  • mikemac61

Posted October 19, 2003 - 06:15 PM

I damaged the stator (the one inside the flywheel) while removing the flywheel on my 426 a few weeks ago. I put it all back together and the bike won't start. I've been down ever since because this thing costs $180 bucks.
My question is, do I need it? Does this stator do anything other than run the lights? The other little stator (the one outside the flywheel) is fine but they appear to be part of the same wiring harness. If I don't need the one for the lights, what do I need to do to get the bike running without it?

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted October 19, 2003 - 07:44 PM

You need a stator. The stator on your bike has 2 sets of windings inside the flywheel. One is for lights and one is for ignition (which gives your spark plug electrical current). The "little stator" isn't a stator, it's the pickup for the ignition timing.

Your manual tells you how to test the stator to see if it's still good, and you'll need a meter to check continuity and resistance.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikemac61

Posted October 20, 2003 - 02:42 PM

Thanks man, I'll see if there's any life left in it but I think I'm gonna be out $180. Oh well, live and learn. :)

• Burnrider

Posted October 20, 2003 - 06:37 PM

Thanks man, I'll see if there's any life left in it but I think I'm gonna be out $180. Oh well, live and learn. :)

Mike, check this link "PNR" below. There is a photo album showing how I did a stator rewind if you're going to give it a try.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.