2010 YZF lights

6 replies to this topic
  • BreckBuzz

Posted April 21, 2012 - 06:28 PM

So, I'm sure this question has been asked before... But I did some searching and nothing that I was really looking for came up.

I'm in the market for a new bike and it's between a WR and a YZ. I found a 2010 YZ450F that I'm absolutely in love with. Problem is, a lot of my favorite trails have been closed to OHV's that aren't street legal. I just need lights that will pass inspection... That's it, that's all. Are there any battery powered lighting options? I know there is the option to do a WR conversion, but I really don't have the time nor do I want to spend the extra money.

Thanks for any feedback!!!

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted April 21, 2012 - 10:35 PM

Not sure about this ultimately making the YZ legal, but you can make any light on the market to run off a battery pack. If that is the only goal, Trailtech has a good lithium ion battery back that will give a 35 watt headlight power for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Another option is to contact either Baja Designs or Ballards Off Road (Australia) as they both have harnesses that will plug into the YZ's ECU port and provide enough dc power to run a light with no battery.

• 559stan

Posted April 22, 2012 - 05:58 AM

Hey, thanks you just helped me out. In another post I wonder about fans on my 07yzf and you just mentioned that the power winding supplied some extra wattage. I'm thinking have the winding charge a small lithium ion battery with a diode in line then power the fans through a temp/snap switch. This set up would power the fans after motor shut down. I will try this mod durring my red sticker summer. You'll hear from me if it works. I'm thinking a r/c car guy would know about the battery needed. Some bikes have radiator fans so i'll check and see what's out there. I think total weight will be under a pound and would make the bike better in slow trail stuff and PREVENT HOT STARTS. stan

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cereal killer

Posted April 22, 2012 - 07:33 PM

I bought a 12volt led light and powered it with a nimh battery on my '08. I bought some used RC batteries that were 7.2 volts, took them apart and re-soldered the cells to make it 12v. Seemed like the easiest and cheapest approach. I searched on ebay for some first, and there are 12volt packs for sale if you don't feel like soldering. I made my own just because it was cheaper (and I now have enough packs to power my light for a couple days straight).

I used deans plugs for the connections, so I just plug it in before I go riding. The battery sits in a pouch mounted where my bar pad used to be.

• AliGee

Posted April 24, 2012 - 10:16 AM

I bought a 12volt led light and powered it with a nimh battery on my '08. I bought some used RC batteries that were 7.2 volts, took them apart and re-soldered the cells to make it 12v. Seemed like the easiest and cheapest approach. I searched on ebay for some first, and there are 12volt packs for sale if you don't feel like soldering. I made my own just because it was cheaper (and I now have enough packs to power my light for a couple days straight).

I used deans plugs for the connections, so I just plug it in before I go riding. The battery sits in a pouch mounted where my bar pad used to be.

Awesome. I saw that Trail Tech had an 8" race light that could be powered by two batteries (though this one wasn't DOT approved). Has your bike actually been cleared by inspection or is this just for racing/night riding? Also, pics would be appreciated! (If you have them available.) :banghead:

Edited by AliGee, April 24, 2012 - 10:18 AM.

• cereal killer

Posted May 25, 2012 - 07:25 AM

Awesome. I saw that Trail Tech had an 8" race light that could be powered by two batteries (though this one wasn't DOT approved). Has your bike actually been cleared by inspection or is this just for racing/night riding? Also, pics would be appreciated! (If you have them available.) :cry:

No I'm not dual-sporting mine, so there was no inspection. Where I live (AB , Canada) you're supposed to have a headlight and brakelight for trail riding. This was the lightest and simplest way I could think to do it.

Note in the pictures the light seems uneven. In person it looks like a steady beam, but when you look at it through a digital camera you can see the refresh rate of the LEDs. I've run it for ~5hrs at a time at it was still working at the end. I don't know what the max runtime is yet because I haven't ridden long enough to drain it.

The battery sits in the brown pouch (which is actually an SKS ammo pouch and just happened to be a nice fit). The deans plug connection sits inside the pouch to protect it from splashing water, then I ran a wire down behind the number plate and connected it directly to the headlight. The headlight is mounted to a piece I made out of a KLR650 stock skid plate.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• upnorthbacon

Posted May 25, 2012 - 02:30 PM

The 2010 up have a 12v hookup for the power tuner. You can tap into the red wire on the power tuner port for your positive and ground to a bolt on the frame for negative. Wire up a switch and you can run a headlight and taillight. I'm told it's like 100 watts of power, but uses most of it for starting purposes so you have to leave the lights off to start it, then switch them on after it's running. Baja designs just posted a plug and play harness for them on this board further down. It has the switch and leads for headlight and taillight and plugs right into the tuner port with no cutting. I'm running my trail tech off mine and also I have a fan that I can switch on if I get hot following my son during enduros.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.