2008 YZ450f Oil Change

2 replies to this topic
  • Taco Ninja

Posted April 21, 2012 - 02:56 PM

I have recently purchased my very first four stroke machine - a used 2008 YZ450f. I changed the oil this morning for the first time and was surprised at the quantity of old oil that came out - approximately 1600mL. The manual says it should refilled 950mL for a typical oil change and 1200mL if the filters are also being replaced (which I wasn't doing at the time). I put the recommended 950mL back in and checked the level with the motor hot and cold - the indicator showed it low. I put an additional 250mL in (to get to the 1200mL) and again checked the level which was still reading low. Am I missing something?? Why would there be such a discrepancy between what the indicator shows and what the manual tells you to put in?? I did have the bike off the side stand, level and upright and the indicator still read low when it was fully screwed in. Any help or input is appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Octanee

Posted April 21, 2012 - 08:13 PM

I have recently purchased my very first four stroke machine - a used 2008 YZ450f. I changed the oil this morning for the first time and was surprised at the quantity of old oil that came out - approximately 1600mL. The manual says it should refilled 950mL for a typical oil change and 1200mL if the filters are also being replaced (which I wasn't doing at the time). I put the recommended 950mL back in and checked the level with the motor hot and cold - the indicator showed it low. I put an additional 250mL in (to get to the 1200mL) and again checked the level which was still reading low. Am I missing something?? Why would there be such a discrepancy between what the indicator shows and what the manual tells you to put in?? I did have the bike off the side stand, level and upright and the indicator still read low when it was fully screwed in. Any help or input is appreciated.

well, i would go by dip stick my self over the book, BUT how you check the oil is start the bike up, get it nice and warmed up, either ride it a bit or let idle for a minute or 2 until cylinders feel well off warm and possibly your case, from oil flowing.

Now let sit for 3-5 mins or so, THEN check your oil on a relatively flat spot with bike nice and upright of course, i personally fill my oil up to not screwed in, but dip the stick down to the threads and check it at that, after all "dip stick" not thread stick?, i dont know, but my bikes still rocking, So try that and see what happens, i believe the bike also has a oil pressure bolt or something? ( its been all winter) so i forget on mine, but im pretty damn sure theres a bolt you crack open to make sure its got oil flowing also...., but try that method and let me know if it helps any

Edited by Octanee, April 21, 2012 - 08:14 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted April 21, 2012 - 09:25 PM

Read this and the posts linked in it:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=852961

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.