If i would add the following mods to my wr :

-twin air filter
-FMf powerbomb header
-Scary fast power now valve
-ais removal kit
-grey wire removal
-airbox mod
- -1 teeth on front sproket

Would the power/torque fells about the same has a yz450f? I just love the power of the yz450f how it wheelie itself up even if you dont have any technique! Would my wr450f fell like the yz power with all those mods?

• MrKTMrider

Posted April 19, 2012 - 04:10 PM

-twin air filter
-FMf powerbomb header
-ais removal kit
-grey wire removal
-airbox mod
Can someone tell me witch jet kit should i use for all those mods??

Would the power/torque fells about the same has a yz450f? I just love the power of the yz450f how it wheelie itself up even if you dont have any technique! Would my wr450f fell like the yz power with all those mods?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 19, 2012 - 06:18 PM

-twin air filter
-FMf powerbomb header
-ais removal kit
-grey wire removal
-airbox mod

No, it will not. You would need a different set of cams, some port work, full YZ tuned pipe, and a loss of about 45lbs.
It will run much better though.
Oh, and don't bother with the scaryfast. It artificially makes the carb bore smaller, witch gives you more throtte response, but less top end. Just tune your accerator pump correctly, jet it correctly, and learn how to adjust your fuel screw and you won't need it.

• Navaho6

Posted April 19, 2012 - 06:25 PM

Put on a stock YZ exhaust, rejet carb accordingly, and put on a merge racing AP spring and adjust the squirt. This is where you will see the biggest gains. You'll probably be satisfied at this stage. If not, change the cams. Then maybe a new high comp. piston. You will then have a YZ.

Edited by Navaho6, April 19, 2012 - 06:26 PM.

• potman1980

Posted April 19, 2012 - 10:41 PM

Put on a stock YZ exhaust, rejet carb accordingly, and put on a merge racing AP spring and adjust the squirt. This is where you will see the biggest gains. You'll probably be satisfied at this stage. If not, change the cams. Then maybe a new high comp. piston. You will then have a YZ.

plus a little extra lard
:thumbsup:

• n16ht5

Posted April 20, 2012 - 04:45 PM

my my friends ride yz450s and I prefer my heavier WR. power at the 450 level is more about getting the carb tuned for reaponse than top end HP

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 20, 2012 - 05:37 PM

I just love the power of the yz450f how it wheelie itself up even if you dont have any technique! Would my wr450f fell like the yz power with all those mods?

the most efficient way to get your bike to perform like a yz450f is to sell the wr and buy a yz.

• Rocky739

Posted April 20, 2012 - 06:24 PM

Agree with all the others, do the free mods and dial in the jetting.. If its still not fast enough then you need a YZ. But don't waste your money on snake oil headers and carb inserts..

• cb01wr426

Posted April 21, 2012 - 06:51 AM

Interesting concepts here. I think the reason I bought my WR was that I wanted more reliability and trail friendliness. YZ's were actually more plentiful used. I'm wondering why so many buy WR's then modify them toward YZ's. Trying to have the cake and eat it too?

• stevethe

Posted April 21, 2012 - 08:15 AM

Interesting concepts here. I think the reason I bought my WR was that I wanted more reliability and trail friendliness. YZ's were actually more plentiful used. I'm wondering why so many buy WR's then modify them toward YZ's. Trying to have the cake and eat it too?

Thats it!
When baking your cake don't forget to get rid of the crappy base valve on the front forks. The racetech one seems to work well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rocky739

Posted April 21, 2012 - 09:35 AM

Well I have always modified all my bikes, and almost everthing else I own, mostly to suit my riding style and abilty. My WR is no different. The stock bike is unrideable so the free mods have to be done to get it running correctly. Same with carb and jetting, almost all bikes need a tweak to run for your elevation etc..I would think that would suit 98% of all owners who will never be able to use all that power. I dont see the need to change exuast especally to a loud MX style unless you only do closed course stuff. It seems the options for aftermarket stuff is slim especially if you stay under 96dbl which you should.
Everything else that I have done is for handling, reliablilty and ergonomics which is way more important, oh and if I can shed a few pounds at the same time then bonus.
I bought the WR because I like that it is fully baised off the YZ motor and has a good reputation for reliability and with the addition of e-start and low price for used it was a easy winner in my search for a trail/dual sport machine. Oh and I have always liked Yamahas looks since they went to blue!
If I were to start racing I would buy a motocrosser and mod it back the other way, ie; add flywheel to motor, quiet it down, soften suspension etc... so that I could have light weight.
Now if you will excuse me I need to get back to porting my push mower, I think I can get three extra HP outta that sucker!

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 21, 2012 - 07:57 PM

I can answer this one... the WR, in my opinion is a very, very good play bike. Its easy to ride, easy to manage and has reasonably good manners. However, its heavy and it detuned a bit. That's what makes it easy to ride and also what makes it cumbersome to race. I initially modified mine because I wanted to find that happy medium between playbike and race bike. The wr is great as a trail friendly bike that you can ride aggessively at times.

• cb01wr426

Posted April 22, 2012 - 07:02 AM

PORTING YOUR PUSHMOWER -:thumbsup: .... I get that. That's good. I applaud people who just love to modify for stuff for their own fun. I just wondered if I was missing something good.

Regarding the forks.... I just bought my WR426 and noticed they are the stiffest forks I've ever felt, by 200%. I had a CR250 before this one, very nice.

Is there a simple first step to soften the forks, for a non-mechanic like me?[color=#0000CD] I'm 230lbs. [/color]

• Rocky739

Posted April 22, 2012 - 10:52 AM

PORTING YOUR PUSHMOWER - :thumbsup: .... I get that. That's good. I applaud people who just love to modify for stuff for their own fun. I just wondered if I was missing something good.

Regarding the forks.... I just bought my WR426 and noticed they are the stiffest forks I've ever felt, by 200%. I had a CR250 before this one, very nice.

Is there a simple first step to soften the forks, for a non-mechanic like me?[color=#0000CD] I'm 230lbs. [/color]

No push mowers were harmed in the replies to this post..
As far as forks you must have at least one set of broken forks, the WR has pretty soft suspension from the factory. I'm 190-200 lbs in full kit and I did'nt bother to ride it with stock springs. I sent it out to have full service done and stiffer springs installed, then later I may need some valving done.

If you feel somewhat confident that you can disassemble the forks yourself, change seals and refill with oil then thats the first place to start plus you will be able to maybe determine if the springs have been changed. My guess is that too heavy a viscosity oil has been used or way over filled or a combo of both. A good suspension shop would be able to see things that may be broken, put together wrong etc.. as I'm guessing someone has monkied around with them. Reguardless they could set them up for your weight and riding style. Get the shock done too as Jap shocks need the oil changed at least once a year and you will need a stiffer spring on the rear also to keep the bike balanced.

• cb01wr426

Posted April 22, 2012 - 02:55 PM

(I just succumbed to the psychological pressure to kick my push mower....)

Thank you Rocky, much appreciated, lots of good ideas.

• lach_23

Posted April 29, 2012 - 03:33 AM

Does anybody know if the grey wire mod is necessary on the Aussie Yamaha wr450f's?

• Rocky739

Posted April 29, 2012 - 06:29 PM

Does anybody know if the grey wire mod is necessary on the Aussie Yamaha wr450f's?

I believe that the euro and Auz models do not have emissions crap, ie; long throttle stop, grey wire, ais system... So I don't think you have it. I would assume if the bike came with a long throttle stop then it has a wire if it came with a stop that allows full throttle you should be fine. There are some good pictures on here to help you fine the wire if you have it.

• lach_23

Posted April 30, 2012 - 09:54 PM

Sweet cheers man, I'm picking the bike up in a few days so ill have a good comb over it then. cheers man.

• awsomeA3

Posted May 01, 2012 - 12:56 AM

I believe that the euro and Auz models do not have emissions crap, ie; long throttle stop, grey wire, ais system... So I don't think you have it. I would assume if the bike came with a long throttle stop then it has a wire if it came with a stop that allows full throttle you should be fine. There are some good pictures on here to help you fine the wire if you have it.

well i dont know if its exacly the same but my 08 wr250f had the ais and gray wire and crap like that so i would just check to see if they still have it?

an inevntive idea is to kick start the lawn motor i hate that god damn pull start gets u know wear. :banghead:

• Rocky739

Posted May 01, 2012 - 11:12 AM

Hey Latch, Keep us posted on that new ride and enjoy!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.