I think I've done all of the fixes and a little extra...anything I'm missing?

10 replies to this topic
  • Mayday702

Posted April 18, 2012 - 09:59 PM

Not too terribly long ago I picked up a 2006 DRZ 400 S, I've only ridden it once and proceeded to crash it on some woops, which turned out to be more like...whoops!!! It was seriously undersprung for my...umm...uh...stature. :thumbsup: Suspension was compressed when I hit the next bump in the woops and kicked me up and over the handle bars like I was trying to tame her and couldn't last my 8 seconds to glory. Actually...it threw me off course and I hit a rock right in the mud shovel and THEN launched me over the handle bars. I felt my shoulder pop out of socket as I launched over board and then back into socket as I hit the ground, thanks ground!!! Almost broke my ankle because the bike landed on me, but I was geared up and had on some Alpinestars that saw the end of their serviceability that day. I was about 7 miles away from anything and out in the desert on a power line road...rim bent, tube slashed, fender tool bag and spare tube launched to who the hell knows where because I couldn't find it.

So...I babied it back to civilization. Rim was already screwed so I rode on it with shredded tube and tire doing a crawl of shame. And any time the trail was a little off camber it got interesting because with the flat tire the front of the bike wanted to slide the direction of the camber. Had a couple of interesting hills I had to make it up and then back down with the tire wanting to slide out from under me the whole time.

Anyways...I decided to try and do it up right and make it the nice little dual sporter that I want it to be and really try to enjoy the hell out of it. Got the bike back home and went to work.

Aside from a Big Bore and Cams...I think I will wait until next spring for something like that, what am I missing or what recommendations does anyone have???

I know..I know..RIDE IT!!!

[color=#0000ff]Done:[/color]
Switched all plastics to [color=#008000]Kawazuki Green (Unobtanium)[/color]

Clarke 3.9 tank

Monster Energy Graphics Kit

I have re-sprung and gold valved the forks and new seals and oil.

I have done the following loctite fixes:
Starter, Stator
Counter Balancer
Primary

Added manual fan switch

Removed Kickstand switch ([color=#ff0000]I didn't know about the switch issue at the time but I think this is what led to my crash, certainly contributed to it[/color])

P/O already had TT case savers on there and a mud shovel

Brand new D606's front and rear

Added Kick Start

GSXR coil on plug

Added Unabiker Radiator Guards

Added MCCT

Added FCR-MX 39 (JD Jet Kit, Merge AP spring, Flex Fuel Screw, new vent hoses)

MSR Shift Lever

All fluids flushed and filled

Cleaned Oil Screen

New Excel front rim

Rim locks front and rear

Heavy Duty Tubes

RAM bar mount and Garmin GPS

Did 3x3 mod

P/O already had a Yosh RS-3 on it.

UFO tail / blinkers

[color=#ff0000]About To Do:[/color]
I am about to re-spring and gold valve the rear.

I am about to do Counter Shaft fix

About to do Free Power mod

Haven't bothered with clutch switch yet

Need to add hand guards

I'm about to do Steering Stem

I'm about to do Swingarm

Edited by Uisge Beathe, April 19, 2012 - 04:03 PM.

• suzuki sm nut 123

Posted April 19, 2012 - 04:37 AM

water pump fix ?

• Mayday702

Posted April 19, 2012 - 07:25 AM

Ahhh yes....Water Pump fix Done, I knew I'd forget to list a few things.

Also new fender packs from DirtBikeGear.Com.

Have a Vapor I'm getting ready to install too.

I know I've done a lot, but it's also given me "tunnel vision" and I've lost my perspective. Thanks for any suggestions.

Edited by Uisge Beathe, April 19, 2012 - 07:38 AM.

• Phil Ken Sebben

Posted April 19, 2012 - 02:32 PM

love your story and your laundry list of fixes could almost be a sticky :thumbsup: Sounds like you have treated your dizzer right, its a shame that it didn't return the favor! In my opinion, if you have done all this to the bike, you must be paying pretty good attention to it. I'd say stop wrenching, start riding and get your perspective back until you have a reason to open 'er up again. Yay!

• Mayday702

Posted April 19, 2012 - 03:59 PM

love your story and your laundry list of fixes could almost be a sticky :thumbsup: Sounds like you have treated your dizzer right, its a shame that it didn't return the favor! In my opinion, if you have done all this to the bike, you must be paying pretty good attention to it. I'd say stop wrenching, start riding and get your perspective back until you have a reason to open 'er up again. Yay!

Thanks...I just pulled the swing arm, rear shock and counter shaft off today. Might be a week or so though before I can get it all back together, the wife and I take turns handing our 11 month old boy off to each other and we work opposite shifts, so my wrenching time and riding time have been drastically reduced.

• Phil Ken Sebben

Posted April 19, 2012 - 04:11 PM

Nice! congrats on the boy, better get him a ST-70 in the next 12 mos. ;D I just did my swingarm and cushion levers, degreased em and regreased em. If you got it off, the hard part is done! good luck man have fun

• Mayday702

Posted May 11, 2012 - 03:32 PM

[color=#ff0000]About To Do:[/color]
I am about to re-spring and gold valve the rear.

I am about to do Counter Shaft fix

About to do Free Power mod

I'm about to do Steering Stem

I'm about to do Swingarm

-DONE

MRD/SSW exhaust on the way

Cycra hand guards on the way

Sisneros single pull throttle on the way along with additional throttle cable.

• DanAllen

Posted May 11, 2012 - 04:19 PM

-DONE

MRD/SSW exhaust on the way

Cycra hand guards on the way

Sisneros single pull throttle on the way along with additional throttle cable.

Honestly you need to have the suspension tuned for you weight and riding style.

I see you live in NV, contact Pro Action Bob at 702-476-8721. Bobs speciality is suspension but does motor and other work as well. They will hook you up.
I lived in NV for a few years, thats how I know of him

Edited by DanAllen, May 11, 2012 - 04:20 PM.

• Mayday702

Posted May 11, 2012 - 07:13 PM

Honestly you need to have the suspension tuned for you weight and riding style.

I see you live in NV, contact Pro Action Bob at 702-476-8721. Bobs speciality is suspension but does motor and other work as well. They will hook you up.
I lived in NV for a few years, thats how I know of him

Cool thanks for the recommendation. I have already resprung forks and shock and installed Gold Valves as well though. I am gonna see how that suits me for a while and then go from there.

• Ryel

Posted May 12, 2012 - 06:35 AM

got to admire your commitment, well done

• Mayday702

Posted May 12, 2012 - 07:53 AM

got to admire your commitment, well done

Thanks...I'm looking at thinning out my stable a bit so I wanted the Dr. Z to be the "all around" bike that I hope it will be for me, so I tried to do it up right.

edit: By "all around" I don't expect it to do everything well....I just want to be able to ride to my ride spot and then ride it home. No trailering or loading up in my truck. I know what the bike IS and what it ISN'T.

Edited by Uisge Beathe, May 12, 2012 - 08:09 AM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

What did you BUY for your DRZ today by Craig-o

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  2,114 replies
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013 by hondajon80

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013
  • * * * * -
  • 12 reviews
  • Last review by claydus
  • On July 31, 2014
Forums
Photo

Looking at a drz400s and dr650se by lpfm1990

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR
  • Hot  24 replies
Forums
Photo

Wisconsinite762 Mod Thread by Wisconsinite762

• Hot  74 replies
Forums
Photo

DRZ400SM fork springs? by Ladyeclectic

• 20 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.