wr450f?

7 replies to this topic
  • MrKTMrider

Posted April 18, 2012 - 04:15 PM

Im thinking of buying a wr450f. I've ridden a rmz450 (motocross) and i loved how it was wheeling it self up effortless not like my drz400 :S! So i wonder if i put a few minor mods on a wr450f (grey wire,pipes..etc) will it be close to the feeling of the bike wheeling it self effortless? Atleast 1-2-3? Can you compare my drz400e power to the wr450f?

• Navaho6

Posted April 18, 2012 - 05:44 PM

I rode a 2009 YZ450 and my '06 stock WR (grey wire cut) back to back, and there is not much difference in power but a huge difference in weight. I just bought a 2009 WR450 tuned with a full YZ exhaust. Feels even closer to a stock YZ in power. Wheelies in 1-3 easily. Gearing is much better for the tight woods that we ride.

Edited by Navaho6, April 18, 2012 - 05:59 PM.

• stevethe

Posted April 18, 2012 - 06:01 PM

Im thinking of buying a wr450f. I've ridden a rmz450 (motocross) and i loved how it was wheeling it self up effortless not like my drz400 :S! So i wonder if i put a few minor mods on a wr450f (grey wire,pipes..etc) will it be close to the feeling of the bike wheeling it self effortless? Atleast 1-2-3? Can you compare my drz400e power to the wr450f?

Yes, just follow the mods and you get real close to yz power. Throw in a cam, port the head and you get more than a yz.

• travertt

Posted April 18, 2012 - 06:19 PM

I rode a DRZ400 for 1 season then switched to an 04 WR450 uncorked....no comparison.

You have a lot more quick response power and 25-30 lbs less weight and better suspension...a great combination.

It wont be as nimble as the MXer due to weight and overall design characteristics...but you'll have lots of jam and lots of fun.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MANIAC998

Posted April 19, 2012 - 03:43 AM

I've owned both, and like everyone else has said, the difference in power is quite staggering! And the WR is quite a bit lighter too!! Maniac

• Navaho6

Posted April 19, 2012 - 04:14 AM

The DRZ is absolutely the worst bike I've ever owned. Horrible handling, heavy, unbalanced and underpowered. Even geared down 1T on the front, it was a struggle to get the front end up. The bike would not track straight and wanted to stand up in the corners. Lost a lot of $ on that experiment.

The WR, on the other hand, is one of the best bikes I have owned. Just bought a 2nd one.

• potman1980

Posted April 19, 2012 - 10:35 PM

to echo everyone else i would aggree. i have had a drz 400 sm and now i own a wr 400. the power and suspension differance is unbelivable, i ride in supermoto trim and the to bikes just don't compare on the street. i can't say about the wr and yz as i've never ridden a yz to compare them.

if you have the head work done, make sure you have a good engineer do it. i have seen some real hack jobs done before that don't do the combustion any favors at all.

• meanxr

Posted April 20, 2012 - 03:40 AM

Yeah I totally agree with Navajo on his opinion on the DRZ. Mine had the 436cc big bore plus suspension mods and still was a crap bike.Couldn't wait to get of it. My current WR is sooooo much better in every way.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.