starter motor differences for WR

10 replies to this topic
  • SEDUCE

Posted April 17, 2012 - 05:35 AM

Hi there i am wondering if anyone can tell me are the starter motors different on the WR450's from 03 model to 11 model?
I seen someone selling one that said 03-11 wr450 starter motor and i asked if it would fit a 03 and he said they all the same but when i asked Yamaha they said no they not use your year model one???
and when i looked on the part search it was different part numbers so whats the difference as they look the same.

Also is the wr250 one the same as i also seen someone selling a WR250/450 starter motor,

• zibbit u2

Posted April 17, 2012 - 05:49 AM

I know any steel framed 03-06 WR450's starter motors are the same/interchangeable, and being as though they share the same motor as 03-11 YFZ450 quads, they should be interchangeable as well (but don't quote me on that)

• BajaFool

Posted April 17, 2012 - 10:37 AM

I just spoke to the smartest Yamaha dealer parts manager on the planet (Motoworld, El Cajon, CA, USA). He reconfirmed what I have been told. ALL starter motors for the WR450F 2003 - 2011 are interchangeable.

I didn't ask about quad starters. There was a thread awhile back from a guy in the UK who bought a quad starter, or maybe it was the idler gear for his WR450F and found that the gear on the end of the starter or the gear on the idler had a different number of teeth. This is from memory, I didn't pay much attention and I'm old :thumbsup: . So, a call to your dealer to confirm compatibility of a quad starter and a motorcycle starter would be a prudent thing to do before spending your money.

• MaxPower

Posted April 18, 2012 - 03:07 AM

the quad starter is bigger

• SEDUCE

Posted April 18, 2012 - 03:19 AM

so cant use a yfz starter motor????

Edited by SEDUCE, April 18, 2012 - 03:20 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miweber929

Posted April 18, 2012 - 04:03 AM

so cant use a yfz starter motor????

Correct.

Mike

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted April 18, 2012 - 06:59 PM

the quad starter is bigger

Yes I confirmed this is the case... diameter and length are larger and the two mounting bolts will not line up as a result.

Shame too, because it looks like a much more robust unit and maybe won't fail as easily as the WR units do!

• SEDUCE

Posted April 24, 2012 - 11:06 PM

ok so anyone know what other starter u can use on 03 model wr450?

• Mbirt

Posted April 25, 2012 - 12:17 PM

Yes I confirmed this is the case... diameter and length are larger and the two mounting bolts will not line up as a result.

Shame too, because it looks like a much more robust unit and maybe won't fail as easily as the WR units do!

Did the snout fit and did the spline engage with the torque limiter? Custom brackets can always be fabricated :banghead:

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted April 27, 2012 - 04:03 PM

Did the snout fit and did the spline engage with the torque limiter? Custom brackets can always be fabricated :banghead:

Yea, I thought of that also but there was a showstopper... I am trying to remember exactly what it was and am drawing a blank...

I believe the issue was the splines were the same, but I believe the snout was different in some way that it would not go into the case properly.

It will come to me later...

• Mbirt

Posted May 14, 2012 - 08:09 AM

I held YFZ and WR starters side-by-side at the FSAE competition this last weekend. The bolt hole spacing on the YFZ starter is indeed incompatible with the WR. What we didn't check, unfortunately, was the spline and snout compatibility with the WR.

The Aprilia SXV/RXV 450/550 has a notoriously fragile starter and owners of them have been using the WR450 starter as a replacement when the SXV/RXV brush housing is used. This thread, http://www.apriliafo...e-starter-motor, shows a 2006 R1 starter installed on an SXV/RXV with some custom bracketry. I'm curious how common the WR450 starter spline profile and tooth count is across the Yamaha lineup.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.