YZ exhaust on WR?

15 replies to this topic
  • kwinn044

Posted April 16, 2012 - 09:06 PM

Hey i have an 09 WR450 and just wondering if a yzf exhaust system will mount up on my bike?
If so would it be better in any way than just my exhaust uncorked??
Thanks

• kwinn044

Posted April 16, 2012 - 09:07 PM

YZ exhaust is from an 09 as well

• GuyGraham

Posted April 17, 2012 - 12:37 AM

yzf exhaust has a bigger dia header pipe, and louder silencer
it will give you more top end power than the uncorked wr pipe due to the header pipe (but may loose bottom end power)

any yzf pipe from 06 to 09 will fit ur wr

• kwinn044

Posted April 17, 2012 - 06:05 AM

Thanks a lot. Is jetting required after any exhaust change?

• zibbit u2

Posted April 17, 2012 - 08:15 AM

yes

• kawi380

Posted April 17, 2012 - 09:08 AM

I have an 09yz full system with the PMB spark arrestor end cap on my 08wr and love it :thumbsup: . Aside from the noise (man is it loud :lol: ) it was the best $100 I spent on the bike. I did rejet, but I change my jetting a few times a year anyway so not a big deal. I have been thinking I should get the quiet insert for the end cap at some point just to keep it quiet. I don't recall losing any bottom end over the stocker but the bike sure does pull to the moon now :thumbsup: and I don't want to lose that so I may or may not get the insert :thumbsup:

• kwinn044

Posted April 17, 2012 - 05:23 PM

Perfect! I have a system lined up already and a JD kit ready to go. Just a matter of finding the time. It's a short muffler. Barely sticks out past the side fender. Looks good though.

I haven't done really any engine work on a bike before but i feel confident i can figure out the jetting with TT help

• Tungtran

Posted April 17, 2012 - 07:04 PM

I have 08 YZ450 system on the my 07 Wr450. It's perfect for look and performance too. I notice that there's no lost on the top end. First I jet it with 168, 48. but it's lean a bit. then 170 is the real deal. Best system for WR under 150 bucks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • msgbean

Posted April 18, 2012 - 02:10 PM

I ran an 06 YZ can on my 07 for most of its life and it gave great performance. I went back and forth between the YZ header and the WR header trying to decide which one felt the best. In the end I went with the WR header and YZ pipe. It seemed like I got better low end with that combo.

• n16ht5

Posted April 18, 2012 - 04:29 PM

I have an 09 yzf muffler with the PMB spark arrestor and ultra silent insert if anyone wants it. really opens up the bike but a hair loud for me

• kwinn044

Posted April 19, 2012 - 06:10 AM

will having the yz exhaust on the bike affect any of the jets differently than the stock exhaust, being it's a bigger diameter?

• kwinn044

Posted April 19, 2012 - 06:11 AM

I ran an 06 YZ can on my 07 for most of its life and it gave great performance. I went back and forth between the YZ header and the WR header trying to decide which one felt the best. In the end I went with the WR header and YZ pipe. It seemed like I got better low end with that combo.

I tried putting YZ muffler on my WR header but the diameters were different. Maybe just the years i guess

• msgbean

Posted April 19, 2012 - 06:27 AM

I tried putting YZ muffler on my WR header but the diameters were different. Maybe just the years i guess

They are different diameters but you have to take out the gasket from the WR muffler and put it in the YZ muffler. The mufflers are the same diameter. They just use a different gasket to fit the different headers.

• MANIAC998

Posted April 20, 2012 - 03:51 AM

Thanks msgbean! That's the info I was looking for!!!
Maniac

• Navaho6

Posted April 20, 2012 - 08:22 AM

I just bought an '09 WR with full YZ exhaust off of 2008 model. Rejetted with JD jet kit by previous owner. It's is a tad loud but not obnoxious like an aftermarket YZ exhaust. I will still put on a PMB endcap and quiet insert.
Bike runs really good.

• Agazza

Posted June 13, 2016 - 12:55 PM

Bump, i have a full but ugly yz450 system, a full original wr system, and what i believe is a full gytr system.

I'm thinking about just switching out the end can from the original system and the yz. But these means a lot of disassembly.

I noticed that the muffler's are a tad of in the oval shape, the yz is rounder, but I think it's the same circumference

The modding the muffler for higher flow.

Unnecessary work? Looks like the yz muffler has a larger diameter pipe the the original

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.