yz426 cams dots just dont line up no matter what, must of been drilled badly or something?

4 replies to this topic
  • Octanee

Posted April 15, 2012 - 02:19 PM

hi guys so yeah my yz426 i cant get the timing right because the dots are not drilled right, is this common or what? is there any other way to tell if they are correct? i have done my 06 yz450f cam timing before and 0 issues, all 3 dots are dead on, this bike they just aint....

• grayracer513

Posted April 15, 2012 - 04:29 PM

And the first question that comes to mind is whether the timing chain is new or not. Probably not. But either way, the timing marks won't always line up perfectly. The question usually becomes a simple matter of looking to see if moving the cam one tooth in either direction will make it line up better or worse.

Replace that chain before it takes your motor out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Octanee

Posted April 15, 2012 - 05:13 PM

And the first question that comes to mind is whether the timing chain is new or not. Probably not. But either way, the timing marks won't always line up perfectly. The question usually becomes a simple matter of looking to see if moving the cam one tooth in either direction will make it line up better or worse.

Replace that chain before it takes your motor out.

well it might be the chain, but it might not be, the dots on the cam or mroe specifically the exhaust cam just look wank, "12 o clock" just aint 12 o clock if your trying to put it with the other 2 dots, but reading around ive read that you want your lobes to be perfectly parallel, and looking at them from the other side of the engine they look perfect, i also read, 13 pins apart from the 12 o clock positions, it sits 13 pins from inside dot to dot, so im sure its on right now? But yet again the dots did not line up, so i dont know i want to say them dots where put on wrong and thats probably whree the prev owner just couldnt get it right so he said it needs new cams and sold it off cheap, for me to buy :thumbsup:,

now to the timing chain i do plan to, but i just bought this bike i want to get it RUNNING, but my personal plans are to replace the piston in it and timing chain for sure for my friend there, since its his bike basically but im the mechanic,

I just want to get it running right now, and its just not really wanting to run so im cleaning the carbs since it appears like its just not getting fuel? and it sat for over a year with old fuel sitting in the carbs

Also when i had it as best i could get the dots to being how it says to do it, if i used ether it wouldnt really work just pop and light my airbox on fire, now im getting alot more little puffs and stuff but just no cigar, but it could be the cams still aint in position correctly?

but yet again i sware them dots that are on the cams arent right they air perfectly paralell to each other and especially the "12 o clock" is not parallel if you think of it as a upside down T,

none the less greatly appreciate the help greyracer! you know best

Edited by Octanee, April 15, 2012 - 05:18 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted April 15, 2012 - 07:17 PM

IGNORE everything other than the "I" mark on the intake and the "E" on the exhaust.

Read: http://www.thumperta...845#post7467845

• Octanee

Posted April 15, 2012 - 07:46 PM

IGNORE everything other than the "I" mark on the intake and the "E" on the exhaust.

Read: http://www.thumperta...845#post7467845

yeah thats where i got the 13 pin number from "Once this is right, if you are working on a 400, 426, or 450, you'll notice there are 13 pins between the two 12:00 marks. If it's 12, either one of your cams doesn't really line up, or your bike is really a YZ250F."

but any how like i said in my other post, i got it running, its the way i was starting it, went out and did it like in the video on youtube, and bam it fired up after 2nd kick/try, great idle and throttle response at idle, of course i did not rev much because everybody wants to sleep LOL!

question though, IF my timing is off would it even idle? would it even move around rev up at all. if i went in 1st and just started moving through some gears or giving it, i would think if its off it wouldnt idle or rev up properly, of course i have never encountered this so i do not know of the symptoms, But if you dont mind to tell me, i'd appreciate that!, any how thanks again! as always :thumbsup:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.