Swaping to yz400f carb for yz450f carb and help with glowing header

3 replies to this topic
  • Tyson Wall

Posted April 15, 2012 - 12:26 PM

I have a YZ400f that I am thinking about doing the yz450f carb swap. I just wanted to make sure these are the only parts I need to do the swap, 450 throttle cable, hot start cable and lever and of cores the carb.

Any recommendations on the best year carb to get? Is it really that big of an improvement?

The header is getting so hot is glowing bright red, this cant be normal I am thinking and guessing its from running lean. The bike has hot cams, big bore kit and FMF pipe. Its also hard starting and will die on me at idle sometimes. I am hoping upgrading to the newer 450 carb will help.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by Tyson Wall, April 15, 2012 - 12:28 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 15, 2012 - 02:10 PM

There is no reason to change carbs unless the one you have is worn out, or to get a better accelerator pump system.
Just fix the jetting.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tyson Wall

Posted April 15, 2012 - 08:30 PM

There is no reason to change carbs unless the one you have is worn out, or to get a better accelerator pump system.
Just fix the jetting.

Do you think the header turning red is from it running to lean?

• zibbit u2

Posted April 15, 2012 - 10:00 PM

yep, or you're idling the bike for too long

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.