Wr 250f supercross?

7 replies to this topic
  • idahohick

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

Hey guys. I have a 02 wr 250f. I am going to kind of get into racing with my buddy and older brother. I have done all the mods to it. Im wondering if it would be alright to race with it or what else is different between the wr and the yz. Should i do different suspension or what, help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Devo83

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

You dont really specify what type of racing that you will be getting into. If it is supercross as your title suggests, you will have to do alot of modding to the suspension for sure. This bike is not meant for big jumps. A YZ-F would be much more suited to that style of racing. Even power wise and gearing you will be at a disadvantage. Keep in mind this is a bike engineered for trail riding. A WR is heavier, slower and sprung softer than a yz-f. That doesnt mean it cant be done, but if your looking at getting into supercross then you may want to consider a new ride.

Edited by Devo83, 15 April 2012 - 01:48 PM.

• Thumper Rog

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

Like Devo said, your going to need a new machine.

• xr_bill

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:08 AM

I wouldn't be so quick to count the WR out. Alot depends on what you're wanting to do.......If you're looking at running the nationals or competing for the local series championship then the others are right you're going to need a different bike. If you're going to run the beginners class and just want to have some fun with your friends then you'll be OK . At the lower levels of racing those with riding skills are running up front, not those with the latest & greatest bikes.

• YamaLink

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

Exactly!

I wouldn't be so quick to count the WR out. Alot depends on what you're wanting to do.......If you're looking at running the nationals or competing for the local series championship then the others are right you're going to need a different bike. If you're going to run the beginners class and just want to have some fun with your friends then you'll be OK . At the lower levels of racing those with riding skills are running up front, not those with the latest & greatest bikes.

• oldnbold

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

I've mx'd an 02 wr250f and while it was one of the funnest days mx'ing, I had to work really hard on it compared to my yzf at the time. For starters, it's way undersprung for my 195 lbs and big jumps and the gearing was way off. But I will say this, I was purposely riding with the headlight on and when I was catching and attempting to pass guys, I've never seen dudes ride so over their heads to keep the "headlight guy" behind them. passing on the straights was out of the question so all my passing was done with late braking and fast cornering and unusual line choices. It was a memorable day of riding!

As a trail bike, I found it plush and easy to go fast, with lots of momentum maintenence ability. I've since ridden an 08 wr and found it much more "yz like" in ergos and performance. I'd much rather mx the 08 than the 02.

The 02 is still a raceable bike, just not in the advanced classes nor in mx unless it's a flat track or the rider is under 130 lbs, IMO.

• idahohick

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

I want to do exactly what bill said. There are a couple local races in my town and i just wanted to race in the 125/250 begineer class with a couple buddies, and this summer go to a few tracks and just mess around and have fun. Im not looking at riding it constantly on tracks since im big into trail riding. Im just going to change the timing in it to a yzf timing and do a different suspension set up. Thanks.

• Devo83

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

If thats your objective than im sure you can work with your bike! I didnt mean to sound negative, but when u mentioned racing supercross, it brings a different picture to mind then a couple beginer buddies at a local track. Good luck and have fun!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.