fuel INFO

3 replies to this topic
  • 426ER

Posted September 01, 2001 - 07:55 PM

CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF RUNNING 100 OCTAINE IN MY STOCK 01 YZ 426 HURT ANYTHING. I ASKED MY LOCAL DEALER AND HE NO DONT , BUT ASKING AROUND THE TRACK YOU HEAR IT'S OK AND READING ARTICALS .I'VE BEEN READING YOUR MESSAGES FOR ALONG TIME AND I HAVE GOTTEN ALOT OF GREAT INFO SO HOPE YOU CAN HELP.

------------------
LOS

• Boit

Posted September 01, 2001 - 09:06 PM

It's not the octane that should concern you about this machine. If you are concerned that certain fuels might harm your carb O-rings, then look toward fuels such as VP C-12, C-18(if you can afford it) VP MR1 and MR2. The magazines printed some misinformation about race fuels harm the FCR carb. Pump gas is no friend to our carbs either. Over time, any gasoline will cause deterioration. If you aren't willing to jet accordingly, race fuel is pointless. Oftentimes, if you just switch to race fuel, you will de disappointed with the results. The bike will most likely run worse. Jetting for your fuel and atmospheric conditions will result in the largest gains.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzernie

Posted September 02, 2001 - 02:52 PM

Boit mentions some good points. The thing to remember is that this is a high compression engine. 100+ octane leaded race fuel also helps to add a little bit of additional lubrication to the valve train.

As Boit said, you must be willing to jet the bike according to what fuel you choose and where you ride. If you do not, you will be disappointed with performance AND throwing your money away.

• yzernie

Posted September 02, 2001 - 02:59 PM

I forgot to add that I have owned YZF's since they first came out at the end of 97. I have always run Union 76 Red (108 octane) and have never had a problem with my carbs. One of the nice things about race fuel is the consistency of quality (octane) and a specific gravity (flow) characteristics.

Ernie

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.