Valve seal problem

4 replies to this topic
  • rhinoracin

Posted April 14, 2012 - 11:53 PM

I had the header removed on my 09 and looked inside the exhaust port with a flashlight, and the exhaust valves looked like they had some oil around the stem seals. I don't know for sure if it was oil, and my bikes jetting is rich so could it be something else?
I don't remember seeing anything on the intake valves when I had the carb off.

• rhinoracin

Posted April 16, 2012 - 11:23 AM

?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Octanee

Posted April 16, 2012 - 01:49 PM

is it burning oil? chances are dpeending on alot of stuff ,your valve seals could be worn so its slowly letting oil by, and you may not notice it so much since its the exhaust valves that it would fly out of the exhaust rather then being "burned"

so probably whta needs to be done, and ive done all this at home my self with home made tools :thumbsup: is get your head pulled, remove valves, replace seals, and put them in, but some times you got to get some valve seating compound and a suction cup and spin them in the seat to get a good proper seal again as they usually wear/sit in the seat a certain way that it seals its self so when you remove it you may not get it to seal back as good again,

but thats just my experience, if you dont mind some work and your a handy man you could probably do it all at home, other wise like many dealers, you could pay somebody to do it

• grayracer513

Posted April 16, 2012 - 02:41 PM

...some times you got to get some valve seating compound and a suction cup and spin them in the seat to get a good proper seal again as they usually wear/sit in the seat a certain way that it seals its self so when you remove it you may not get it to seal back as good again,

Never, ever, under any circumstances should you lap a titanium valve.

Never.

http://www.wiseco.co...alveInstall.pdf

• Octanee

Posted April 16, 2012 - 02:47 PM

Never, ever, under any circumstances should you lap a titanium valve.

Never.

http://www.wiseco.co...alveInstall.pdf

ohhh ok, well i put 3 stainless steels into my intake and i did that with em, but im still learning lots!, good read

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.