Air Filter Disinagration

7 replies to this topic
  • timmozig

Posted October 17, 2003 - 08:25 PM

When I got out my spare (stock) filter today it totally decomposing.
Here's my drill;
1)clean filter in solvent
2)clean filter in warm/soapy water (useing Palmolive to avoid "dishwater hands".
3)Let dry
4)Use Twin Air oil filter
5)Put in Tupperware or Ziplock then into gearbag.
This filter has been in my gearbag about 2 months,
the bike is only about 5 months old.
I've used this "system " forever and never have seen this.
Imagine if the filter was on the bike.
I'd appreciate your comments.
I'd also like to thank all of you contributors for your advise it's been a tremendous resource.
Also my Twin Air filter shows no signs of breakdown.
TZ

• sabin

Posted October 18, 2003 - 01:12 AM

I use motorex clean and oil. I guess your problem is with the cleaning solvent! My filters are fine (almost like new) after more than an year of usage, both TwinAir and OEM.

• trailriderjoe

Posted October 18, 2003 - 04:54 AM

Im gonna guess that there wasn't alot of time between when you oiled it and put it in the bag...air tight bag. Both the cleaning solvent and the oil have solvents that need to flash off in the open air. I'm thinking that if you seal it in a bag too quick the solvents are forced to stay rather than evaporate off and ate away at the foam???

• DesertChris

Posted October 18, 2003 - 07:30 AM

Mine was on the bike when it started falling apart. It wasnt't the main part of the filter but the ring where it seals with grease to the air box. I used the exact grease recommended in the service manual too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tctrailrider

Posted October 18, 2003 - 07:39 AM

Mine was on the bike when it started falling apart. It wasnt't the main part of the filter but the ring where it seals with grease to the air box.

Same thing happened with my UNI Filter. Stock and No Toil filters have been fine. I clean with Kerosine and then Simple Green in warm water. :)

• Sylvain

Posted October 18, 2003 - 03:10 PM

I use a degreaser sold for cleaning air filter oil by Artic Cat, wash it in warm soapy water, and blow dry. I store it dry with nothing on it. I oil it just before I put it on the bike. So far there was no damage done to the filter and it's been over a year.

I guess you shouldn't store it in a tight sealed container when it's oiled. Just like Trailriderjoe said.

BTW I found a Unifilter on ebay for 20.00 cdn$$. It's not too bad for a spare. They usually run near 55.00$$cdn.

• jwriott

Posted October 18, 2003 - 05:49 PM

I clean my White Bros. and stock filter with liquid Tide. I've never had one come apart.

I also change them every ride and always have a clean, dryone one ready to oil up and go.

I'd say the solvent is eating the thing apart.

• timmozig

Posted October 19, 2003 - 05:58 PM

Oiling a filter is a pain (even at home).Thats why I pre-oil.
I think TrailJoe has a valid point regarding dry time.
TZ

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.