Newbie Here!

15 replies to this topic
  • rhino738

Posted September 02, 2001 - 06:42 PM

Hey Fellas,

Just sold my 2001 FZ1 street bike, and Im looking to get into a dirt bike. Im looking hard at the 426 but havent riden a dirt bike since the mid 80's. I'll be doing trail riding as well as track. The question is.....Is this bike the one for my interests, or do I need to look at a 2 stroke? Oh, one more thing. Im a fat a** at 250 lbs and 6 ft tall. Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted September 02, 2001 - 06:55 PM

Welcome to ThumperTalk Chris! You may want to take a few moments to review the FAQ and Search link at the top of each discussion area to get a better feel for posting and finding the information you are looking for. Otherwise welcome and have a great time! :)

• Boit

Posted September 02, 2001 - 07:49 PM

Welcome Chris. Like you, I was out of dirt biking for a number of years while I concentrated on being a responsible father and husband. Once my kids were grown and I was still relatively young, I got back into dirt. From my personal experience with the 426, this is the most fun bike I can imagine to ride. It's like having a muscle car of the late 60's...only in a dirt bike. Incredible engine, handle, suspension, and quality. Not to mention all the aftermarket components to tailor the bike to your own personal tastes. This a great time for us dirt guys.

• twej

Posted September 02, 2001 - 09:41 PM

Only last year did I start riding/racing again after a 14 year layoff due to a knee injury on a 2 smoke. I'm also 250#, 6' tall and I too struggled with whether to go 2 stroke or 4. I bought a 99 yz400 and love the heck out of it. It has such a great low end that you can ride/race without having to wind it out like the 2 strokes. Which turned out to be extremely usefull for learning to ride again. Definately search through previous posts for how to ride a 4 stroke, there are a few differences. I'll never go back to a 2 smoke again. This thing just rocks, in a friendly way.
Welcome to the board, these guys in here ALSO rock. Good luck with your decision,

• rhino738

Posted September 03, 2001 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice! I have decided to go with the YZ426F. Already talked with the Boss(wife) and got clearance to get it tomorrow. Im like a little boy on Christmas Eve!! I think she was feeling guilty that I sold my FZ1 after only having it for 4 months. Our first baby is on the way(due in Nov) and I wanted to be around for his delivery. Thanks again guys, and I look forward to being a part of the great board you have here! Ill put up a post after I bring her home....That is if the dealer doesnt try robbing me :)

• Chiledog!

Posted September 03, 2001 - 06:19 PM

Good choice on the 426. Be patient though. This was my first four stroke. The mech at the dealer showed me how to start it. Once I got home it took me over 200 kicks to get it started, (I didn't pay attention). I then read the manual and I can start it on the first kick everytime now. The bike is awsome, I ride the Track, Single Track, and Desert the combination of this website and your new bike is unbeatable. I wish I would have found this site a back in May when I got my bike. All these guys are great!!. Have fun and keep it pinned!!! (Wait it's a four stroke you don't have to keep it pinned.)

• tawood385

Posted September 04, 2001 - 02:16 AM

Hey Chris,
I see from your bio your a P.O.....I'm a motor officer near you ride at work too?

'01 YZ426
'00 Harley Police Special(Got it for free, and I get paid to ride it!)

• rhino738

Posted September 04, 2001 - 05:43 PM

Hey Tim,

Nope, Im just a lowly patrol cop. Im a police officer in a small town that butts up next to Memphis on the East side. We have a population of about 60,000 people and a force of around 150. We dont even have a motor division....yet! Rumor is its in the works though. If we get motors, I would love to do it. Ive got 5 years on, so im still a rookie, however the department has a very high turnover rate. This leaves me with quit a bit of senority. I may be leaving though to go to Memphis as the pay is a little better, and the crime is alot better(They have more of it). Well, it looks like I opened my big mouth too soon last night! I called several dealers in Memphis and Jackson Tn, and no one had a 426. I went to one that I did business with when I had my FZ1 to get the ball rollin on the new shippment of 426's coming later in the month, and would you believe that the owner sold me on a 2002 YZ 250. I guess that I will have to jump over to the appropriate board :). I would like to thank you guys for your advice, even though I didnt adhere to it :D. I think I will be happy with my decision though. This bike RIPS, and I almost got dumped on my butt when riding it after I got home. Later on fellas.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rhino738

Posted September 04, 2001 - 06:11 PM

One more thing fellas!

Sorry to be such a pain, but can anyone direct me to a owners site for the YZ 250. Im completely new to the dirt bike world, and Im assuming that a "Thumper" ie "ThumperTalk" is restricted to the 4 stroke :). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again for everyones kindness.

• Boit

Posted September 04, 2001 - 08:16 PM

Rhino, has a forum for 2-strokes. It's a combined forum, but you will find tons of yZ owners there, plus other forums that you might useful.

• rhino738

Posted September 05, 2001 - 12:45 AM

Thanks Boit, I will check that out. Ride safe Fellas.

• Scott_F

Posted September 05, 2001 - 09:28 PM

One more thing Rhino, whatever you do, don't test ride anyone's YZ426F.

• rhino738

Posted September 05, 2001 - 10:34 AM

I will keep that advice in mind :). A good friend of mine has one, so it will be tough to refrain from trading off one day at the track. Later Bro.

• Boit

Posted September 05, 2001 - 04:34 PM

Bill: Is it OK if I post links to other sites? I won't do it you prefer. I have absolutely no ties whatsoever to any businesses. I'm just a dirt bike guy who likes to help others when I can. But, I don't want to contribute to spam.

• Bill

Posted September 05, 2001 - 04:53 PM

Your trying to help someone get info on his new bike. I see no problem with this.

I don't exactly agree with his choice but, it's his money :)

Thanks for being considerate :D

99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP #4, 50PJ, 175MJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

• wildair99

Posted September 06, 2001 - 04:45 AM

Hey Rhino,
so you are from Eads? cool, just around the corner from me, i'm up in Tipton County, holler at me sometime, we'll get together and ride at Gales Mx Track, just right up the road from my house, a very sweet track, email me @

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.