WR/YZ cam swap

9 replies to this topic
  • andre661

Posted April 13, 2012 - 07:22 PM

Please help....lol. I have an 05 wr450 and I have been reading about this exhaust cam swap by installing a yz exhaust cam. I have also been reading about just changing the exhaust cam timing on the stock wr cam to basically achieve the same results. Which of these would work best and has anyone tried this before????

• MANIAC998

Posted April 14, 2012 - 04:55 AM

You can do a search on this, as there is lots of good information out there on this subject. Using the YZ cam makes the electric start almost un-usable, as the engine will have too much compression for the starter to over-come. Maniac

• Mbirt

Posted April 14, 2012 - 10:25 AM

Here's an excellent post on the topic: http://www.thumperta...ween-wr-and-yz/

I had to remove 1mm of length from the decompression pin on a 2011 WR exhaust camshaft when retarding it a tooth to get cold cranking compression back to its original level. The motor would not e-start at 10 psi before removing 1mm from the pin.

• redhotz28

Posted June 28, 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hey guys- hate to butt in but didn't want to start a whole new thread. I just picked up a used 07 WR450, and when I went to check the valves I saw this. It runs fine, so I was wondering if the previous owner possibly retarded the stock WR camshaft one tooth instead of buying a new camshaft. What do you guys think?

Posted Image

• KennyMc

Posted June 28, 2013 - 05:07 PM

Does the e-start work fine?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beezer

Posted June 29, 2013 - 05:07 AM

You may have a worn cam chain. Depends on how much time is on the bike.

• redhotz28

Posted June 29, 2013 - 08:58 AM

The e-start works just fine. It takes 2-3 seconds to fire up, but it works every time. The bike is fairly new- person before me said <1000miles. I can't figure out how to check using the stock speedo unit and I didn't get a manual with it.

• KennyMc

Posted June 29, 2013 - 04:17 PM

The e-start works just fine. It takes 2-3 seconds to fire up, but it works every time. The bike is fairly new- person before me said <1000miles. I can't figure out how to check using the stock speedo unit and I didn't get a manual with it.

Here is a link to get the manual in a PDF format for free
http://www.thumperta...formance-index/

• redhotz28

Posted June 29, 2013 - 04:37 PM

Thanks- I have that but didn't figure it would cover as basic an operation as using the speedo. Doesn't look like you can check total hrs/miles. Bummer! Wanted to get a vapor anyhow.

• KennyMc

Posted June 30, 2013 - 07:55 AM

Thanks- I have that but didn't figure it would cover as basic an operation as using the speedo. Doesn't look like you can check total hrs/miles. Bummer! Wanted to get a vapor anyhow.

Oh, no, you are correct. They come with a resettable ODO so you will never be sure. When I just did my top end, I installed an hour meter.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.