What are the flaws of the 2010 YZ450?

15 replies to this topic
  • Phineas7

Posted April 13, 2012 - 05:03 AM

I have an 07, there's a '10 for sale not too far from me. I'm kinda paranoid about 1st gen of a new designs, but thought about upgrading, if the price was right.

Was it one of those that needed a lot of "fixes" the following year? Especially in regards of engine reliability. I've read of some funk about the handling of the new design, but I also read the '07's didn't turn well. They may not, but apparently I'm not fast enough to have that problem (once I got it set up and got used to it that is).

I'm not particularly a big Yamaha fan, I don't have to have a Yamaha, or any particular brand, so if you're a Yamaha-can-do-no-wrong cheerleader, move along...

• williec

Posted April 13, 2012 - 05:29 AM

I have a 10 that i got off the show room floor. the only issue that i have had is the stupid crank case breather hose. it has been in the same location for years, but this was the first bike that i had issues with it. i had an 04 that i would drive through rivers with no problem. even if is stalled i was good. this one sucked up all kinds of mud. it was mostly due to operator error, but still sucked big time. i re-routed it up by the left radiator and cut it at the bottom to put a T in it. and it works like a champ. alot of peopl have posted picks and they all have great ideas. the 10 rips, it is heavier, but with the way it is set up, it feels super light when you are in the saddle. another issue that i had was 5th gear, i guess my bike was built on a friday afternoon. it would want to jump in and out of gear.....kinda felt like the chain was skipping on the sprocket. i just avoided 5th for a while and over the winter i split the cases to swap it out. haven't had a problem since.

well i am the first reply, and i am sure you will get more. this is what i went through, but i still luv the bike.

• idahoexcr500

Posted April 13, 2012 - 06:41 AM

I also have an 07 and got the chance to try a 10 last weekend. The guy with the 10 had an 08 before it and offered his thoughts on how they compare. The 10 hits much harder off the bottom than my 07 which has an aftermarket pipe and slencer. It seemed to rev faster and had less flywheel effect which I liked as I grew up on 2 strokes and prefer not having engine braking. My 07 I think revs more and has more up top but I liked the engine in the 10 allot. Very responsive with the FI and the extra low end was nice.

Brakes felt similar as did the suspension. It felt light in motion and i liked the ergos a little better than my 07. Stability felt really good as with my 07. He likes the 10 better but mostly because of the extra grunt over his 08. Front end seemed very light on the 10, a complaint many seem to have with this generation. The 10 also had MX51 tires on it, same as I have on my 07. My 07 turns ok, its not the greatest but dialed in its pretty good.

Nice bike overall but for my using it as a playbike I dont really see the advantage of upgrading right now. BTW, I rerouted my breather hose to the airbox a while back too.

• rdefonce

Posted April 13, 2012 - 08:17 AM

I also have an 07 and got the chance to try a 10 last weekend. The guy with the 10 had an 08 before it and offered his thoughts on how they compare. The 10 hits much harder off the bottom than my 07 which has an aftermarket pipe and slencer. It seemed to rev faster and had less flywheel effect which I liked as I grew up on 2 strokes and prefer not having engine braking. My 07 I think revs more and has more up top but I liked the engine in the 10 allot. Very responsive with the FI and the extra low end was nice.

Brakes felt similar as did the suspension. It felt light in motion and i liked the ergos a little better than my 07. Stability felt really good as with my 07. He likes the 10 better but mostly because of the extra grunt over his 08. Front end seemed very light on the 10, a complaint many seem to have with this generation. The 10 also had MX51 tires on it, same as I have on my 07. My 07 turns ok, its not the greatest but dialed in its pretty good.

Nice bike overall but for my using it as a playbike I dont really see the advantage of upgrading right now. BTW, I rerouted my breather hose to the airbox a while back too.

I concur with your comments. I went from '08 to '10, so fairly similar there. I have had zero problems with my '10. Very reliable.:-)
After adding slip-on muffler, I like engine even better! (simply adding a different muffler [MRD] let my '10 breathe much better on top-end, at least matching my '08 for rev-ability.)

• brentn

Posted April 13, 2012 - 10:04 AM

I also bought a 10 and still have it. I went from 0 hours on it to 55 and it's holding up very well. I will agree with the crankcase breather hose location for large puddles/rivers, I was also sucking up quite a bit of water, so I re-routed it.

Issues that I have had with the bike;

-Starting cold is never a problem, hot starting can be tricky. The valves have never moved on this bike, and are in spec but the starting circuit is 'weird' to say the least. If you stall and try to re-start it will fire up with a couple kicks 5% of the time, otherwise you'll be kicking forever. I used to give the throttle a slight twist while kicking and it would start up 95% of the time doing this. Later on I started to pull the cold start knob out for a hot start, and without any throttle movement the bike will start 95% of the time first kick hot. I bought a power commander 5 for the bike and changed the starting circuit to supply a bit more fuel to the circuit for the first 30 seconds, this helped quite a bit but did not eliminate the starting issues.

-On second thought I cannot think of any other major issues lol...

I absolutely love this bike however, and it has served me very well on the trails

I concur with your comments. I went from '08 to '10, so fairly similar there. I have had zero problems with my '10. Very reliable.:-)
After adding slip-on muffler, I like engine even better! (simply adding a different muffler [MRD] let my '10 breathe much better on top-end, at least matching my '08 for rev-ability.)

I too also added a slip on and the top end power increased very noticeably!

• BBrown626

Posted April 13, 2012 - 09:15 PM

The ten handles pretty well.
I broke 3rd and 5th gear at 135 hours.
Very twitchy throttle response, but that is much better after loading the MXA soft hit map.
Supsension is great stock.

• Troutman

Posted April 14, 2012 - 11:02 AM

Coming off of an 06 (which I really liked) the 10 is better everywhere. The biggest difference is the 10 handles much better and feels allot lighter while riding, it really improved my lap times and stamina. I also love the ability to change the power delivery and it as every bit as reliable (50hrs. now) as my 06 and I have not had any issues with it yet. The suspenders are the best on the stock market. Some people do not like the way the shrouds seem a little bit wider but I have not noticed this while riding. Also I do not mind the air filter changing process as it takes the same amount of time to change the air filter on the 10 as it did on my 06, but I do not have to change it as much and my hands stay cleaner. The complaint I had is that it signed off early in the top range but I put a full yosh system on and it now revs to the moon. So in regards to your original question about first year design reliability you have absolutely nothing to fear as its reliability is one of its strongest points. Reliability and suspension are my 2 top priority’s so that’s why I ride Yamahas. If you have the extra cash you can’t go wrong with the 10.

Edited by Troutman, April 14, 2012 - 11:11 AM.

• Phineas7

Posted April 14, 2012 - 04:13 PM

Thanks for all the great and thorough replies. I was thinking that the one I was looking at was way over priced, and after going to the track today, I know it is. There was a guy that had just gotten a left over '11 for $6000. But whether I get the '10 guy to a reasonable price, or find a left over '10 '11 or '12, It's good to know there is some stability in the platform.

Regards,

P7

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz-moto

Posted April 14, 2012 - 04:42 PM

Phineas7- may I ask what he was asking for the '10? I just sold my '06 and have my eye on a couple 2010s. Most were wanting 5k for 50+ hour bikes. The others with sub 20 hours and a few parts like a rekluse and exhaust were around $5500

• rr558

Posted April 15, 2012 - 07:37 AM

The 10 is better than the 06 for sure but I did like my 09 yz with 22 rg3's better, I only ride mx. I'm a Yamaha guy for sure but I think the new Honda's handle a lot better and feel way lighter.

• Trevor_Bailey

Posted April 15, 2012 - 08:20 AM

I bought a 10 off the show room floor intended for a trail monster, at the time i hadn't riddin for 12 years. I bought the bike in January up north of the border which means lots of snow still, but any one who buys a brand new bike can't just wait 5 or 6 months for the snow to melt before you take it for a rip. The first thing I did when i got home was filled the tires with ice screws and hit the bush trails. i had to learn to ride all over again in 2 feet of snow and ski-doo tracks, i can tell you i was some quiet and sore when i got home but stuck with it and after about 25 hours I started to make snow riding look easy once you get used to the feeling of driving with your bike while slipping and sliding all over like riding on two flat tires. I've done 65% of my riding in snow with my 10 and now when I'm hooking up on dirt, i get this feeling that I can pretty much drive over anything.

Buying a race bike for bush riding I hear is not the most brilliant idea, but i don't regret it one bit. at first it took some getting used to how fast first gear was for a snow covered single track and spent most of my energy kick starting it after trying to drive to slow and stalling it out or falling off. I found how these bikes work the best.... fast. The faster you go, the easier it is to drive. i cant compair my 10 to other years because i haven't ridin them but i can tell you one thing for sure, i love it. it's seems to be reliable, after 50 hours i've had no mechanical issues. the valve clearances haven't moved and the only things that have been replaced are the things I've busted off. It does seem the air box and rad shrouds are a little wide, with added rad cages it is even a little wider. A much needed item when riding in snow, the falling over has takin it's toll on my rads. I've also added a Recluse clutch, bush grip guards, and a 70 watt head light to make the bush bike awesome to ride any time any where. I've been riding circles around my more experienced riding buddies with this thing. I seem to become confutable riding my 10 but not relaxed, if you try to relaxe it will kick you off. All I can say is very responsive, very fast, handles excellent, and reliable.

• jcm3

Posted April 22, 2012 - 08:34 AM

I'm not particularly a big Yamaha fan, I don't have to have a Yamaha, or any particular brand, so if you're a Yamaha-can-do-no-wrong cheerleader, move along...

I have an '11, and have owned at least six other Yamaha motocross bikes. You pretty much can't go wrong. :thumbsup:

Actually, mine seems to be leaking water out of the weep hole already, with less than 15 hours on it. That is kind of annoying for such a new bike, but other than that, I am enjoying it alot. Great power, the suspension is very good, and it rides very nicely. All I've really done on it is the D-1 air filter cage assembly, a Yosh pipe (needed a spark arrestor), moved the forks up a little bit, and started out with the MXA suspension settings. I'm happy with it so far.

I'm just a once-a-month or so track rider, with occasional trial or desert riding trips thrown in there, not a pro. So, take it for what it's worth.

• AliGee

Posted April 30, 2012 - 04:25 PM

Phineas7- may I ask what he was asking for the '10? I just sold my '06 and have my eye on a couple 2010s. Most were wanting 5k for 50+ hour bikes. The others with sub 20 hours and a few parts like a rekluse and exhaust were around $5500

I just bought my 2010 YZ450F in mint condition with extras and power tuner for $4450.

Edited by AliGee, April 30, 2012 - 04:26 PM.

• Phineas7

Posted May 08, 2012 - 08:42 AM

Sorry, I've not been keeping up. Dude's asking 7K (obo). I posted a comment about his price, and that <5K was typical for '10 450s. After that a few others commented agreement with me and it went down hill from there, when the guy got defensive and felt his price was justified. A mod stepped in and cleaned it up.
I've lost interest in it, so here's the link. He did drop the price to $6500 after the cluster. it's been for sale since Feb, with no interest until I chimed in.
http://www.georgiaof...php?f=3&t=52195
About a week after my last post here, I talked to a guy at the track that had just bought a "new" '11 for 6K.

Not sure what I want to do now. I may just put mine up for sale and get something in the fall. It's that time of the years to cut back on MX and spend time on the water.
Part of me is considering a 250F. Less power, but less vibes. It's not like I'll be any slower, and change is fun.

• RiderX

Posted May 08, 2012 - 09:27 AM

LOL @ $7k for that bike. You can probably buy a leftover 2011 new off the floor for that right now, possibly a 2012 for close to that. I've seen 2010's going for as low as $3800 around here.

• RiderX

Posted May 08, 2012 - 09:29 AM

Here's one:

http://dallas.craigs...2969681771.html

The new engine would concern me a little though

Here's one for $4200:
http://dallas.craigs...2994411778.html

Definitely a buyer's market right now.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.