Gearing a 2007+ 450 question

2 replies to this topic
  • pschiess

Posted April 12, 2012 - 05:05 PM

I am due to replace the stock sprockets & chain on my 2007 WR450F. Stock gearing is 13/50. I have always considered a 13 tooth countershaft sprocket small and that causes more wear on the chain. Was thinking of going to a 14 on the front and 53 on the rear. That would give me slightly higher gearing than stock (3.841 vs 3.786) and since I am replacing the cahin the added size does not matter to length. My question is have anyone run that gearing and is there any downside to going bigger (14) on the front and bigger (53) on the rear as far as fit and clearance issues?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • n16ht5

Posted April 14, 2012 - 05:28 PM

I run a 16t front sprocket. just barely fits

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 14, 2012 - 07:26 PM

From a 15 to a 13 there is maybe 3% faster wear. That is the least of your wear issues......

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.