Uni Filter - Oil Mess...

6 replies to this topic
  • TZAR

Posted October 17, 2003 - 01:23 PM

Howzit,

I have an un-corked 650L with a foam Uni Filter. The oil is a freak'in mess... What do you guys do about this? Cleaning? Handling? Alternate solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Mahalo,

TZAR
:)

• BoZerk

Posted October 17, 2003 - 01:36 PM

I know what you mean, that filter oil is messy stuff, I get it every where, I would like to know what guys are doing. What kinda oil and cleaner they are using.

I use JP-1 oil and cleaner and I guess it works ok but the oil makes a mess everywhere...it's sticky!

• Big_D

Posted October 17, 2003 - 09:08 PM

Use NO-TOIL! :) :D :D

This stuff is great! It uses an alcohol carrier, and has it's own powder soap that you just add water to clean. The stuff is super sticky so I like to wear rubber gloves to oil the filter, but it cleans up easily and there are no nasty cleaners. I just take a paper towel and wet it with the cleaning water to clean the airbox and cover while the filter is soaking.

It is good enough that Honda has it re-labeled as the Honda Pro-Oils Biodegradeable air filter oil. Same stuff, you just get to pay extra for the Honda packaging. :D

Try it, the only problem you will have is trying to give away your old oil so it does not go to waste.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AzMtnThumper

Posted October 17, 2003 - 09:42 PM

Seems like I remember being told not to use No Toil oil with a UNI filter?? Something about an incompatibility (sp) between the oil and the glue on the filter?? :) Anyone else heard this? :D

• beer_studd_76

Posted October 17, 2003 - 10:16 PM

forget no toil. even if it works, it's spendy and in my case, inconvenient.

1) when handling air filters and air filter oil, wear rubber exam gloves available at most super markets and all drug stores.

2) drop dirty air filter into a bucket of mineral spirits (paint thinner) for a few hours. mineral spirits are available at any hardware store, lumber yard, or paint supply store. it is very cheap and it removes ALL the oil and dries quickly (compared to water).

3) keep some simple green around for washing your hands afterward (if necesary).

4) if you decide to go with no toil, it works fine with uni filters.

jeremiah

• Big_D

Posted October 18, 2003 - 07:23 PM

I have been through over a gallon of No-Toil on my UNI filter (the one with the Al frame) and it cleans up and looks like brand new. No glue problems at all.

I just hate mineral spirits between the stink and the fire hazard. The water based No-Toil is for me. It is not that bad cost wise if you can get your dealer to get some gallon jugs of it. If the No-Toil gets a little to thick for your liking just poor some Isopropol Alcohol in it to thin things up.

• D37Racer_Ret

Posted October 19, 2003 - 06:44 AM

Try PJ1 Foam Filter Cleaner in a spray can. Using disposable gloves remove filters, set on a clean surface and spray. Let sit for 10 minutes. With a hose end sprayer the dirt and oil will wash easily. Let dry throughly. Use PJ1 Foam Filter Treatment (Oil) also in a spray can. Let dry about 5 minutes. Reinstall filter and you are good to go. No mess. This is the easest method. I have tried simple green, mineral sprits,soap/water, sol etc.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.