2012 450, how slow can I make it?

11 replies to this topic
  • muzmx

Posted April 11, 2012 - 03:43 AM

Getting back into mx after a 3 year break, am lucky enough to be able to get a new bike and its got to be yamaha, So the wise choice would be the 250f, am not as fit as I need to be and the only tracks that is good for me to sign up to is a good sand track.

I would prefer to own the 450, The guy at the dealership told me you can realy tame the power down to make it easyer to ride, Im woundering how much easyer you can make it?.

thanks

• glenn77

Posted April 11, 2012 - 04:02 AM

If you have a power tuner you can change the power delivery somewhat. The 2012 has had a change in the mapping that comes from the factory so it might not need the change that a lot of people have done with the 2010/11 model,which is to take away the hard hit off the bottom. There are a few threads on TT that give you a bunch of maps to try and they explain what changes they make to the power delivery of the bike. You can't add or take away any horsepower with this device though.

• muzmx

Posted April 11, 2012 - 04:25 AM

glenn77

Yeah I'd checked out that mapping thread, alot of options for power settings, but trying to get a better idea of how much this affects the performance, Am hoping I can detune the bike and make it easy to ride, this would be cheaper than getting a 250 and 6 - 12 months later wanting the 450. The last bike I had was a 450 honda 05 model, but my local track then was hard pack, If I was still at that track I would go for the 250f no question but because this is sand, would be good to have a shot of both but am new to the area and don't know anybody yet .

• glenn77

Posted April 11, 2012 - 05:42 AM

I don't know if this will help but I was knew to racing last year and I got my 2011 in August. It hit hard right off of idle so I put in the map that everyone recommends to smooth out the power and reduce that hit down low. I ride a very hard packed track a couple times a week and then our races are on much more groomed tracks that end up hard packed by the end of the week end. I started to play with the tuner over the winter and loaded the map that they say is for slippery conditions and hard packed tracks. I also put a Yoshimura full system on and when I rode it I was amazed at the difference. It felt like more power but it was also much wider of a spread and easier to control like they said it would be. As far as de-tuning it I don't know what to do,maybe an aftermarket power tuner would give you a wider range of adjustment or this might sound dumb but maybe there's a restrict or plate or washer that goes in the exhaust like on a kids PW 50 that tames things down a bit. Grayracer is the guy to ask about this kind of thing. I hope you find a solution,good luck!

• bonehead7101

Posted April 11, 2012 - 07:33 PM

I can trade you straight across for my yz400... that'l make it slower :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• jaro51

Posted April 12, 2012 - 04:29 AM

Look at getting a GET ignition unit with the "GPA" which is essentially traction control. A buddy of mine has one and the ignition unit itself has dramatically changed the power curve eliminating the initial low end hit and smoothing out the delivery. That in itself makes the bike much more forgiving and easy to ride and then the GPA traction control allows you to tame it down even more. Not a cheap option but I think it would solve your dilema. Doesn't sound like a 250 is a good option for your local track so taming the 450 is the way to go IMO. The GYTR power tuner will help but the GET unit allows for a much larger range of adjustment that what the GYTR power tuner.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • luvnoldcars

Posted April 12, 2012 - 02:15 PM

you dont need to de-tune it. just dont twist the throttle alot. just because they are fast dosent mean you have to use all the power.

• rdefonce

Posted April 13, 2012 - 08:25 AM

glenn77

Yeah I'd checked out that mapping thread, alot of options for power settings, but trying to get a better idea of how much this affects the performance, Am hoping I can detune the bike and make it easy to ride, this would be cheaper than getting a 250 and 6 - 12 months later wanting the 450. The last bike I had was a 450 honda 05 model, but my local track then was hard pack, If I was still at that track I would go for the 250f no question but because this is sand, would be good to have a shot of both but am new to the area and don't know anybody yet .

A good addition is a flywheel weight. I added the GYT-R off-road flywheel, it helps with tractability and also helps reduce stalling.
I've ridden '05 Honda 450's; those are good running bikes. After owning that, you should have no problem getting used to a FI YZ450F.

• LILBIT

Posted April 13, 2012 - 04:04 PM

Short shift.

• rottenrooster4

Posted April 16, 2012 - 08:04 PM

For the type of riding you seem to be after, the 450 doesn't make any sense to buy. Personally I'd go for the 250 because it's tamer but you can still get it to snarl with power if you want to. I believe that the simpler a bike is, the longer it will last hence why I prefer the carbureted bikes to the EFI Oh and the guy at the dealership wants to sell you the 450 because they aren't selling well internationally. I'm not dissing the 450 because it is a great bike in it's own right, but it benefits them to sell the 450. Costs more and you'll most likely bring it back to them for repairs unless you're mechanically inclined with fuel injection on modern four strokes. This is all an opinion by the way and in the end just do what feels right. This is just my two cents! Glad to have you back in the riding community!

• jcm3

Posted April 22, 2012 - 08:23 AM

you dont need to de-tune it. just dont twist the throttle alot. just because they are fast dosent mean you have to use all the power.

Seriously, not to be a smart-a$$, but this is so true. Out at Milestone, if I want to take it easy, I can ride the entire vet track in third gear, not shifting once. I can hit some of the slower corners in second, and it feels like it has twice the horsepower.

You can definitely take it easy on these bikes if you want to. I know they are fast, but you can also control alot of that with :thumbsup: your right wrist.

• Japex

Posted April 25, 2012 - 08:29 AM

Just put a taller sprocket in the rear, depending on how hi u go, it will take a bunch off the bottom. Cheap and quick.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.