Honda CRF 450r Woods bike?

12 replies to this topic
  • kelloggss

Posted April 10, 2012 - 05:08 PM

I have been on a Suzuki DRZ 400 S since 2006,I have pretty much turned it into a woods bike by taking most of the "street" stuff off, Several mods,etc .I have raced this bike in Harescrambles and ride in extreme single track in Western NC Mountains. I have been hounded by my friends to get a "Real" Dirt bike. I have found a 06 CRF 450r that is in mint condition. How are these bikes on tight woods trails? All feed back welcomed. I like the weight of the DRZ only on hill climbes but I know it is a lot heavier than most other bikes.

• Drjhollar

Posted April 10, 2012 - 06:12 PM

I have an 08 crf450r, with heavy flywheel, 50t rear sprocket(up from 48), rad guards, pro moto billet kickstand, lexx spark arrestor endcap, fastway f6 pegs, devol skidplate. I race hare scrambles and I think this bike has a ton of power compared to a drz400s(used to have one). It is a blast to ride, light, fast, etc...
If you buy one, i would suggest getting suspension tuning for your weight, and later on(not necessity) a rekluse auto clutch and gpr steering stabilizer.
Mine is for sale actually because I want to purchase a two stroke because I prefer the old school feel. Mine also is a black limited edition with black wheels which looks great. I also have a license plate and street title, but have never added a dualsport kit. Ifmyou want to see it,

http://harrisonburg....2946181180.html

Good luck!

• moto_rider7755

Posted April 11, 2012 - 01:11 PM

How is a 450R in tight woods? Well, being an MX bike, they will be geared high in first with low mass at the crank, which will make it stall easily and overheat in slow conditions...hence the guy above putting on a heavy fly wheel weight and a 50t sprocket. When you gear them down, they wont have much top end speed...some riders dont care about top end speed, others do. They also dont have coolant overflows, kickstands, or a light. They also have small gas tanks which limit range. Of course, you can buy an oversized tank. Once you start adding all of these features, you will still have a kickstart bike thats not incredibly light...maybe lighter than an X, but still not particularly light. You can make any bike be what you want with plenty of time and money. The truth of the matter is that I think riders are better served buying a purpose built trail bike. I bought a KTM 300 and havent looked back since...its a master of technical terrain.

Edited by moto_rider7755, April 11, 2012 - 01:15 PM.

• zkl1995

Posted April 13, 2012 - 09:39 PM

Dont do it. You will spend more time letting it cool off and putting coolant in it. Did you look at the crf450x? They have bigger rads and are made for things like that.

• kelloggss

Posted June 12, 2012 - 07:37 PM

I can get the crf 450 r from my buddy for 2500,It is an 07 that is like new condition,several upgrades,I can also get an 01 yzf 426 with toally rebuilt top end,cam,piston,few more upgrades for 1700,The crf is really a good deal,very nice bike.I have searched prices and 2500 is pretty good in my opinion. The 426 runs really well but is an older bike,What do yall think about the yz426f compared to the crf? What is the difference in the 450r and the 450x?

Edited by kelloggss, June 12, 2012 - 07:38 PM.

• honda424

Posted June 12, 2012 - 09:15 PM

The 450x is set up for trails while the 450r is for mx.. the 450x will have larger radiators, coolant overflow tank, wide ratios gears, kickstand, 18 inch wheel, heavier flywheel, have lights, differnt cam for more low end, and overall the 450x will be a much better all around package then the 450r for trails. So if you plan on just mostly riding woods then forget any 450 mx bike unless you plan on spending a lot of money on it for mods. It will be much cheaper in the long run just to get the 450x

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bay Creeper

Posted June 13, 2012 - 05:16 AM

Really guys?

I run a 450r in Michigan trails no problem... No new fly wheel, no new radiators, no new sprockets... I have rad guards and skid plate with a T-4 spark arrestor to be safe and legal. Never once did i over heat, stall, or have any problem worse than a flat tire. Also, if i want, i can take it to the track without lugging all that extra weight of a X model.

All my friends run MX 450's with no problems mentioned above.

• RedRider31

Posted June 13, 2012 - 09:39 AM

Talk to MELK MAN in the honda section about running 450Rs in the woods; he's the king.

• chriskramer07

Posted November 20, 2012 - 04:35 PM

Really guys?

I run a 450r in Michigan trails no problem... No new fly wheel, no new radiators, no new sprockets... I have rad guards and skid plate with a T-4 spark arrestor to be safe and legal. Never once did i over heat, stall, or have any problem worse than a flat tire. Also, if i want, i can take it to the track without lugging all that extra weight of a X model.

All my friends run MX 450's with no problems mentioned above.

I know this is old but I agree. Room to grow too.. just my thought

Edit: also in Michigan!! +1

Edited by chriskramer07, November 20, 2012 - 04:36 PM.

• rider428

Posted November 20, 2012 - 05:15 PM

I ride a drz400e and have singletracked in colorado with two riding buddies that ride crf450x's and one that rides a ktm 520exc. I have also ridden there with a buddy that has a crf450r. I would pick the x over the r model. The x model never seemed to overheat in tight, nasty conditions and is a stable machine that handles well for a bike its size and maintains a good amount of power in thin air. The ktm does well also, but does have an overheating problem in tight single track that the 450's did not. It is probably the best out of the four machines for this type of terrain if you install the fan kit and cure the overheating, he just uses a high pressure cap which seems to help. I would avoid the r model like the plague as it will not be as suitable for truly tough terrain without spending enough cash that you could have bought a better bike for the job such as the x model. If you like your drz then I wouldn't let your friends push you into a bike you don't want. I have spent enough on mine to buy a new ktm 2 stroke, but I enjoy the bike and it is dependable. With suspension work they handle much better. The only place I find the weight to be a problem is on truly bad downhills when I'm using a trials tire, in these conditions its hard to keep the bike from sliding downhill even with the motor shut off and the bike in gear. Just my 2 cent, not trying to discredit anyone elses opinion.

• 559stan

Posted November 24, 2012 - 10:05 AM

Get the crf450 and put on a rekluse exp2.0 auto clutch and you will have a great trail bike. I have a yz450 and then bought a wr450. I was riding them both yesterday and the yz is a better trail bike because it has the auto clutch. I also put on a kick stand and a ohlins steering damper (the one that sits real low unlike the scotts unit). I'm 55 years old and those upgrades turned my yz into a real &%$#@! cat that can do it all...stan

• 559stan

Posted November 24, 2012 - 10:08 AM

Guess i should have made pussycat one word....lol

• brraaapperdoodle

Posted November 24, 2012 - 10:15 AM

dude, get the X. i understand if its not an option and if your friend has an R model for cheap then it would be good. I have had an X before and it (in my opinion) was way better than the R depending on your preference and what you are using the bike for.

maybe this will help a little just to get some more opinions

http://www.thumperta...rf450r-crf450x/

Im from Asheville but I live in Charlotte now... where abouts are you??

Edited by user:4, November 24, 2012 - 10:20 AM.

Related Content

Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z125L 2013 by Chris.GVS

Suzuki DR-Z125L 2013
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

OSSA Explorer 2015 by Chris.GVS

OSSA Explorer 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Going 1,500 miles on a DR200 is it possible? by jOsEpHgArCiA

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z70 2014 by Chris.GVS

Suzuki DR-Z70 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Suzuki DR650SE 2014 by Chris.GVS

Suzuki DR650SE 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.