2012 WR450f vs 2012 CRF250r

8 replies to this topic
  • Holz

Posted April 10, 2012 - 12:46 PM

Looking to get some feedback from current WR owners...

I've currently got an 02 YZ250f that I've gotten myself back into dirt riding with. I've chatted with a couple CRF250r owners on the forum and it has been extremely helpful, but I'm looking to get some more input from others too.

I do about 60% trail riding (some single track, mostly more techincal double-track, not much fire roads) and 40% mx riding (comfortable clearing 45ft tables). I've been riding for quite a while and am comfortable working on my machines.

I'm leaning toward the 2012 CRF250r as it sounds like with its tweaked suspension would actually do pretty well on trials. The reason I haven't already purchased this bike (or any 250 mx bike) deals with engine life. While I don't mind doing the maintenance necessary to prolong life, it seems as though the engine is more of a "wear" component that will need to be rebuilt after XX hours. I know the days of the XR400 are over and you have to play," but I wanted to see what other options (if any) there are.

I'm still leaning toward the 250r, but the 2012 WR450f is a close second followed by the KTM350.

Like I said, primarily trail riding forging streams/rocks/trees, but I want the bike to be capable on the mx track for when I case a double. So...

-Will the KTM350 or a 450 require less engine maintenance since I won't have to "string it out" as much?
-Will I still be able to toss it around in the tighter stuff like I could with the CRF250r?
-Is the 450f too "soft" for mx? It's about 50lbs heavier than the 250r...

I'm 170 lbs and 5'11" and 2-strokes are not an option.

Edited by Holz, April 10, 2012 - 12:50 PM.

• woods-rider

Posted April 10, 2012 - 12:52 PM

I would say that the WR would be far less maintenance than the other two, but would be less competitive on the MX track than the 250 (assuming the added displacement moves you into a different class). However, the 2012 WR is supposedly more "race" oriented than previous WRs and it has the SS forks and I have not ridden one so I can't say for sure. I wouldn't consider the KTM for maintenance issues (just from personal experience) but others may disagree.

Edited by woods-rider, April 10, 2012 - 12:53 PM.

• MANIAC998

Posted April 10, 2012 - 05:25 PM

My personal opinion is the same as woods-rider. I'd stay away from the KTM. Of course, your over here on the Yamaha forum, so your probably going to hear that quite a bit, but I've had experience with KTM's, and there just not for me. Your results may vary. As for MX'ing the WR, sure you can do it, but it ain't gonna be pretty! She's heavy for sure, and this is what will hold it back, even with the good suspension. And the Yamaha does have the upper hand when it comes to longevity. The Honda's aren't that bad, but the Yamaha is superior for sure.

As for the Honda's, there great machines for sure! And they handle amazingly!! And if you start out with the R (racer) & not the X (trail machine) then you'll have damn good power too!! Of course, you'll be giving up the magic button, just so you know. A buddy of mine has the X, and it didn't have the power of my YZ250F until he threw a 269 kit in it, then it had plenty of power. My opinion, and it is just that, is that you'll probably enjoy the Honda more for the type of riding you do. Maniac

• Holz

Posted April 10, 2012 - 05:38 PM

My personal opinion is the same as woods-rider. I'd stay away from the KTM. Of course, your over here on the Yamaha forum, so your probably going to hear that quite a bit, but I've had experience with KTM's, and there just not for me. Your results may vary. As for MX'ing the WR, sure you can do it, but it ain't gonna be pretty! She's heavy for sure, and this is what will hold it back, even with the good suspension. And the Yamaha does have the upper hand when it comes to longevity. The Honda's aren't that bad, but the Yamaha is superior for sure.

As for the Honda's, there great machines for sure! And they handle amazingly!! And if you start out with the R (racer) & not the X (trail machine) then you'll have damn good power too!! Of course, you'll be giving up the magic button, just so you know. A buddy of mine has the X, and it didn't have the power of my YZ250F until he threw a 269 kit in it, then it had plenty of power. My opinion, and it is just that, is that you'll probably enjoy the Honda more for the type of riding you do. Maniac

Thanks for the reply. It kind of confirmed my thoughts that the WR is more practical and prudent, while the CRF is more visceral and fun.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted April 10, 2012 - 05:58 PM

All the CRFR's are designed for going fast, with wide open throttle. They do not handle well any other way.
The 250R is a terrible trial bike. No torque, narrow powerband, and short piston life.
A CRFX with a TRX piston and Valves is as close to WR reliability as you can get.

The 2011 and later KTM's don't have the usual KTM issues, and should be considered. That crappy motor they had for a few years is finally gone. But they are more fragile, and parts are more expensive.

The WR is reliable as a rock. It does handle better than the CRF's do (more predictable in corners), and HAS AN E START.

I would have to say the 'fun' factor would be highest on the new WR. I'm thinking about one too.

• johnny6speed

Posted April 10, 2012 - 06:18 PM

For what you want, 350 XC-F and /end thread. :thumbsup:

• aussieklx

Posted April 11, 2012 - 02:44 AM

why not a yz450f??

• Holz

Posted April 11, 2012 - 04:05 AM

I like to go fast with wide open throttle though :thumbsup:

If I'm going to get a 450 it's going to have trail goodies.

What is the difference between the KTM XC-F and XCF-W? Their site does not really provide a great comparison.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 11, 2012 - 04:52 AM

I like to go fast with wide open throttle though :thumbsup:

If I'm going to get a 450 it's going to have trail goodies.

What is the difference between the KTM XC-F and XCF-W? Their site does not really provide a great comparison.

The XC-F (250 and 350 only) is an SX-F (MX) with the linkage rear suspension and CC forks, but with lower compression, 18" wheel, different ignition mapping, trip computer, and a semi-wide 6 speed tranny. The XC-F is a peaky powerband off-road race bike.

The XCF-W (350 only) and the XC-W (450 and 500) are the same set up, just named differently. They have the PDS rear suspension and OC forks, lower compression, different mapping, more off-road goodies, and are wide ratio trannies. The XCF/W is a smoother, wider powerband, wider tranny, off-road bike.

The EXC (or EXC-F if it's a 350) is the same as above, with all the street legal necessities.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.