Pull the Trigger in 2005?

14 replies to this topic
  • thefickler

Posted April 10, 2012 - 09:43 AM

Hey guys, new to the WR world but I have a deal that i'm possibly going to pull the trigger on, and I was wondering if some wizards could shed some light on the deal? I'm a 2-stroker becoming a 4-stroker, so i'm not always sure about prices :thumbsup:

Im looking at an '05 WR450f. It has roughly 1200 miles on it, and was regularly maintained (as im told...). The past few years it has just sat, so the seller is getting rid of it. I havent looked at it yet, so the small details I do not know yet. He is asking $3,000 and that just seems a bit steep to me for an '05? Does that seem resonable if it is a decent bike in good shape, even though its an '05? NADA had an avg. price of $2,600, so I am not sure if I should just hold to that.

Thanks for the help. I know I will have more questions to ask you guys in the future...when I finally do get one :thumbsup:

• hjorth

Posted April 10, 2012 - 02:20 PM

I cant stand hearing about it, 3000 dollars lol

In denmark my old 02 wr426 is about 8000 dollars plated.
A brand new wr450 2012 would cost about 35000 dollars plated

If bikez were that cheap, I would have a 09 wr450 and a HD 1200 nightster and a ducati monster and a...... :thumbsup:

Just pull the trigger

Edited by hjorth, April 10, 2012 - 02:21 PM.

• aussieklx

Posted April 10, 2012 - 02:52 PM

I cant stand hearing about it, 3000 dollars lol

In denmark my old 02 wr426 is about 8000 dollars plated.
A brand new wr450 2012 would cost about 35000 dollars plated

If bikez were that cheap, I would have a 09 wr450 and a HD 1200 nightster and a ducati monster and a...... :thumbsup:

Just pull the trigger

+1. Just get into it mate. 3 grand is nothing compared to what used bike,sales are here in aus. You americans got it good i tell ya. Cheap bikes, cheap parts, cheap gear cheap fuel haha

Have fun

• The Hopper Show

Posted April 10, 2012 - 03:26 PM

that is high average. not overpriced. but high average.

• Rocky739

Posted April 10, 2012 - 05:48 PM

Agreed, thats about average. I just did the same as you after coming back from a 10 year break from dirt bikes. I bought a 2003 WR 450 that was almost new use wise and had to give 2,250 for it.
Doing a complete tune up, grease everthing, suspension service, carb fixes, de-sissyfy tuning, and make road legal for dual sport rides and enduros.
All this is probably going to cost me around 700.00 bucks on top of the bike cost so dont forget to factor that in, read the FAQ page so you have a idea of what it takes to make one of these trail ready. If someone has done some of this for you and its ready to ride that would be a bonus. The worst part of mine was the gumed up carb, lots of work cleaning entire fuel system and replacing almost every o-ring, seal and jet...
I am going to be doing a full story about mine for no good reason than to show off my newfound WR tuning skills (er, if it runs when I'm done).

• BUZZMAN4177

Posted April 10, 2012 - 06:46 PM

Hey buddy, I completely understand where you are coming from. I just purchased an 05' WR450 for nearly that amount. I did a lot of research and searched cycle trader for comparable prices. If the bike is in decent shape when you inspect it then offer him/her $2700 cash and start from there...who knows they may bite. I say go for it after you inspect the bike. I am very happy with mine!!!

• thefickler

Posted April 10, 2012 - 07:11 PM

Thanks for the information. I too am starting to get back into bikes again after a long break of college, starting my career etc. and can finally get back into it :thumbsup:

I have been keeping an eye out for awhile now, and this seems to be the best deal so far that I have come across in my area, well in the whole state of MI for that matter. I'll check it out and we'll see what happens, I just need to make sure I dont get too excited right now and lose my cool when looking, I have the nerve to ride again! At least I think i'm set on a Wr450f. Was kinda kicking around the Idea of a 250f, but I think i'll be happier in the long run with the 450.

And I agree with ya Rocky, I'm trying to set aside a bit of money just for the little things that I know I will find once I do get a bike. I can at least try to save for that :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rocky739

Posted April 10, 2012 - 08:18 PM

Too funny, sounds like we are in the same boat. My last bke was a 1999 125 KTM and Ive never owned anything bigger than a 250 2 stroke (raced a 500 husaberg back in the day, that was my only 4 stroke experince).
The WR seemed appealing to me as it is sorta based off a YZ. The other choices were a CRFX, seemed to unreliable... and a KTM, were too much money or completly trashed.
The Yamaha is pretty well built and had a estart so that kinda did it for me. If I were going to race and try to be competive again I wouldn't choose a WR as they are too heavy and detuned, but for a trail bike it seems a great choice.
I used the forum here for most of my advice. Lots of diffrent veiws on jetting and I have mine for sure but if you weed through seems to be some solid advice.
Like I said I will be doing a thread about my bike, if I can only press order on this batch of parts!

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 11, 2012 - 09:24 AM

I have an 05 wr450. For seven years, I've ridden it hard. One piston, two valve shim adjustments and a water pump seal and impeller. That's that only thing that failed on its own (not including rider induced damage)

I would not let a few hundred bucks stand between me and a wr450. Its a bike that will last a long time.

• freeriders98

Posted April 11, 2012 - 11:07 AM

Seems very reasonable to me. From my experience WR's do not pop up for sale all that often. And that price seems very fair if in good condition. I say go for it!

• Stealth13

Posted April 11, 2012 - 11:12 AM

Paid 3400 for my 2006 including take carb apart and cleaning. Seems good price , in Canada they cost more though

• thefickler

Posted April 11, 2012 - 11:13 AM

Well my deal might not be as sweet, I guess the seller got a TON of emails about the bike, so he is upping his price and holding firm to it. It's up to $3,500, so we'll see what happens but I think that is a bit on the high side for an '05 with roughly 1,200 miles on it. I'll go and take a look at it, so we'll see what happens. I still see a lot of YZ250's for a decent price, maybe I need to pick up one of those till the fall and find a deal at that time... at least I'd be riding! :thumbsup:

• freeriders98

Posted April 11, 2012 - 11:25 AM

He'll probably piss everyone off by doing that and loose a lot of interest. Stay with it you may pick it up for $3000 cash in hand after everyone else bails and tells him to go screw himself. That is pretty messed up in my opinion.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 11, 2012 - 11:47 AM

Well my deal might not be as sweet, I guess the seller got a TON of emails about the bike, so he is upping his price and holding firm to it. It's up to $3,500, so we'll see what happens but I think that is a bit on the high side for an '05 with roughly 1,200 miles on it. I'll go and take a look at it, so we'll see what happens. I still see a lot of YZ250's for a decent price, maybe I need to pick up one of those till the fall and find a deal at that time... at least I'd be riding! :thumbsup:

the wr450 is a great bike. But... never, ever, ever, ever.... overpay for anything!

$3K is fair for a bone stock , 7 yr old bike that is now two generations old..

• thefickler

Posted April 12, 2012 - 04:36 AM

Yep, I totally agree. 2 generations old even, it would be nice to have a newer generation. Thanks again for the information guys, really helpful. Reading these responses to this post and the many other posts, I feel a lot more confident in taking a look at these 4-strokes now.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.