help! trouble changing oil filter

5 replies to this topic
  • reed_YZ426

Posted August 31, 2001 - 02:17 PM

hey everybody. i havent changed and or cleaned my oil filter yet in my bike and i need to! but i cant figure out how or where the oil filter is located. if someone can get me a picture of where its at or help describe it to me i would appriceate it. i really need to clean it!

• DaveJ

Posted August 31, 2001 - 02:39 PM

Reed - are you fimiliar with the term RTFM?

Just kidding.

The main oil filter is located on the right side of the bike, as if you were sitting on it. It's a small housing about 2 inches round held on by three bolts, one of which is an allen head. Some of the earlier model bikes require the removal or losening of the header pipe to get one of the bolts out.

There also a screen filter in the lower section of the down tube of the frame. It screws into the frame (It think it's 22mm) and has a rubber hose with clamp on the other end.

There's also a screen pickup inside the engine, but user Hick is the only one I know of who seems to service this on a regular basis.

• Boit

Posted August 31, 2001 - 07:44 PM

He he...I know what RTFM means. Reed, why don't you have the manual? It's a necessity when owning a bike like the 426. Get one pronto and save yourself from major headaches down the road.

Yamaha part# 5JG-28199-10

Hope this helps.

OOps...I just realized that that part# was for the '00. The '01 is different because of several changes made to the bike.

[This message has been edited by Boit (edited August 31, 2001).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • reed_YZ426

Posted August 31, 2001 - 08:25 PM

thanks alot! i just changed my oil and cleaned my oil filter. question though. after cleaning my oil filter do i rub some oil on it? i did that to my oil filter just incase i put a little on there. and is there any certain way to put it in or do i just shove it in there and put the thing back on because i did that too. (first time working on a 4stroke) was a little different to me

• G-Man

Posted August 31, 2001 - 09:33 PM

• sirthumpalot

Posted September 01, 2001 - 12:58 PM

And get a good torque wrench and torque to spec in the manual (10 Nm)! Don't want to strip any of those bolts in the case...

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.