Working on swingarm/linkage bearings, quick question

2 replies to this topic
  • ams14

Posted April 08, 2012 - 09:35 AM

Sorry, this might be a dumb question: I'm working on my swingarm/linkage bearings this weekend on my 06 yz450f. Some are in good shape, am replacing a few (got All Bals kit).

Question: When I put the outer rubber grease seals in, what is the orientation? There is basically a channel on one side and the other is flat (and has the part number). They are currently installed in both orientations depending where on the bike (maybe from previous owner). I was thinking it was 'channel in', but if I look at this video, right around minute 6, it looks like he is putting them in 'channel out'.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stroker101

Posted April 08, 2012 - 11:09 AM

i always install grease seals with the part # facing out, to the insde, sealing edge out

• peo

Posted June 29, 2012 - 03:12 PM

Think about what the seals are about to protect, and you will find the right way for mounting (which is not always with the part # facing out):

"channel" / lip should be facing towards what it is sealing, in case of a fork inner tube, it should protect against the oil leaking out, and in case of the linkage it should protect from water coming inside, that is, the channel/lip should be mounted facing outwards (as you see in the assembly video, as well as the Clymer and Yamaha original manuals mention)

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.