yz426 oil filters

4 replies to this topic
  • zokalr13

Posted April 07, 2012 - 09:05 PM

hi everyone - i just recently purchased a decent 2001 yz426 and i changed the oil and the filter media had metal shards so im chucking it out but.. the PO had given me a metal filter that looks like it was used- i dont want to use it but all the shops are closed..what is this?should i use it or whats a good filter to get?? i m just gonna ride recreationally with this bike so how often should i change the oil and filter? i ride quite fast for an old guy..anyway thanks ...

Edited by zokalr13, April 07, 2012 - 09:06 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted April 08, 2012 - 01:02 PM

If the mesh filter appears to be made of brass, then yes, it's the OEM 426 piece. They don't work that well, and are too delicate to reuse more than once or twice, tops. If it's stainless and has no base pad on the closed end, it may well be worth keeping and reusing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zokalr13

Posted April 08, 2012 - 08:41 PM

yeah thanx for the info -it appears that it is a used oem filter so im going to buy a knock off stainless filter and change oil and filter every 3 rides like everyone else does ..also another qestion.. how do you make a T4 system quieter?? is there a baffle for the end of the muffler i can bolt on..?? and also-what brand of aftermarket plastic is closest blue to yammi blue??

• idle_mind

Posted April 09, 2012 - 11:05 AM

also-what brand of aftermarket plastic is closest blue to yammi blue??

Both Acerbis and UFO make Yamaha Reflex blue. I'm partial to UFO because there a little bit cheaper. I just did a rebuild on my 426 and the UFO plastic works great.
Posted Image

Edited by idle_mind, April 09, 2012 - 11:08 AM.

• zokalr13

Posted April 09, 2012 - 11:38 AM

thanx for the info -i like ufo too ...nice 426 btw!! mine has a way to go to look like that [quite a ways actually]

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.