2008 YZ450F Transmission Problem

2 replies to this topic
  • rottenrooster4

Posted April 07, 2012 - 04:45 PM

Okay, so I took the bike out for a ride today after installing a brand new clutch cable, Renthal chain, front and rear sprockets, but now I can't for the life of me find neutral when the bike is running. This is the first time that I have ever had this problem on my bike and was wondering if the clutch is just going south. It feels like it has plenty of life left but for some reason I hit neutral 4-5 times downshifting from 3rd to 2nd and it slipped into neutral (scary on a hill with somebody behind you). Again this problem is only happening when the bike is running, I can find it fine when the bike shuts off. I'm wondering if there is something to do with the clutch somehow disengaging incorrectly when the bike is running or am I due for a complete tranny rebuild? The bike has 70-75 hours on it. Any help is much appreciated!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 07, 2012 - 06:48 PM

The inability to locate neutral while running is a clutch problem. It's not releasing cleanly enough. This can be caused by notched baskets, warped plates, sagging springs, etc.

• rottenrooster4

Posted April 09, 2012 - 03:32 PM

Thanks for the tip! Plan on taking it apart this weekend to see what's what.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.