Barkbusters / hand guards.. Whats the best?

16 replies to this topic
  • aussieklx

Posted April 06, 2012 - 11:36 PM

Gday,

Need some new barkbusters for my 04 450 as he current polisport ones are worse for wear and the mounting is absolute crap.. See below. How can i get around the brake line fouling issue. Ideally id want he guard frame in the same line as the brake line. Any recommendations on kits?

Cheers

Posted Image

• n16ht5

Posted April 07, 2012 - 02:38 AM

Looks like something eat your throttle cable.. ?

Im happy with my moose busters and cut up buckets

Posted Image

• MaxPower

Posted April 07, 2012 - 06:07 AM

I like Cycra because the funny bend at the out side allows clearance for ball of the clutch lever when its pulled.And they have a few options on the mounts to the bars or triples to allow cable clearance.
They have a good thing but I dont see the reason they have to cost a good amount more than the other brands out there.
Maybe that extra bend cost that much more to produce and ship

• dustdogg

Posted April 07, 2012 - 08:25 AM

I have been very happy with the Cycra ProBend CRM. The CRM version allows extra clearance near the front brake line, but on my '07 WR I still had to grind and tweek it a little to get the proper clearance. Once that was taken care of the seem to provide very good protection and the shields are replaceable too. I have gone through a few sets of the Acerbis Ralley Pro's on my other bike and I think the Cycra's are much better. I do know some guys that use these from Highway Dirtbikes: http://www.highwaydi...242yz7p45196v4e

They are a little more $$$$ but the neat feature is that they actually thread into the end of the bar. I haven't tried them myself because I have been happy with the Cycra's buty they may be worth checking out.

Here is a pic of my Cycra's mounted up.

Posted Image

Edited by dustdogg, April 07, 2012 - 08:28 AM.

• aussieklx

Posted April 07, 2012 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Oh yer i deleted the return cable as it was damaged in closer inspection it appeared to do f all given the fcr's return spring. So i pissed it off lol

I like the look of the cycra guards. Has anyone used the triple clamp mount kits? Are they better than the crm mounting?

• zibbit u2

Posted April 07, 2012 - 10:02 PM

I've got a set of Zeta XC bend bark busters (w/ flashers) mounted using Cycra side triple mounts. I really like them, after a low side crash, beside some scratching there wasn't any damage to be detected. With mounting using the triple tree it'll stop any rotational action which usually happens in a crash as the busters rotate upwards. On this site you'll get mixed reviews about bark buster mounts... some believe that they're the cats meow (myself), while others believe that you're going to cause more damage to the bike (triple to be exact) in a crash... but, just so you can see what they look like;

Posted Image

• MANIAC998

Posted April 08, 2012 - 03:02 AM

I use the Cycra's with the triple clamp mounts, and I crash test them alot!! They hold up extremely well, and help to keep from bending your handlebars in a crash even, as the load is transfered into the triple tree clamps instead of just the bars. I also prefer them since on a fourstroke, handlebar space is limited. Maniac

• aussieklx

Posted April 08, 2012 - 05:14 PM

Cheers boys. I like the cycras and the triple mount looks the goods.
Decision made.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • magazine

Posted April 08, 2012 - 07:26 PM

I always had love for the Cyrcas until I found Fastways! These mount at the bar mounts, no more clutter and they pivot a little with the plastic washers so big hits dont cause so much damage.

Posted Image

• gsa102

Posted April 09, 2012 - 09:04 AM

The Cycras are the best I have seen because they have special mounting brackets available to clear the brake lines. But they will cost over 100 with the mounts. Everything else is really just an aluminum bar with a plastic cover and cheap mounts. Beware of rock deflectors that will crush your hand when you hit a tree or the ground.

• bg10459

Posted April 10, 2012 - 05:02 AM

I love my Cycras, but I don't like the triple clamp mounts for a few reasons. They aren't high enough for high bars (CR High or RC High), especially with high bar mounts, so it causes the guards slant down toward the middle. They reduce or eliminate the efficacy of rubber mounted bar mounts, transmitting lots of vibration into the bars. They're not very strong, IMO; I have bent more than one set of triple clamp mounts, though now I don't crash as often.
To each his own, I guess.....

• Rot Box

Posted April 10, 2012 - 09:45 AM

I have Cycra's as well and I like them a lot. However my WR came with a set of Tusk D'flex aluminum wrap around guards when I bought it so I figured I'd leave them on it until I had a problem. They do not have the cool bends/clamps to clear the hoses and cables like the Cycra's but it hasn't been a problem on the WR. Overall I really like them, they have seen a fair amount of abuse and have held up very well. So far I have zero complaints about quality and the clamps are good.

While the Cycra's are still my favorite I recommend the D'flex to anyone looking for a cheaper option. I would go with the optional spoilers though as they don't offer a great amount of protection without imo.

http://www.rockymoun...rds/TUSK D FLEX

• ruby37

Posted April 21, 2013 - 06:46 AM

I always had love for the Cyrcas until I found Fastways! These mount at the bar mounts, no more clutter and they pivot a little with the plastic washers so big hits dont cause so much damage.

Posted Image

Did you have to modify the handlebar pad to get it to fit over the mounts?

• GP1K

Posted April 22, 2013 - 09:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Oh yer i deleted the return cable as it was damaged in closer inspection it appeared to do f all given the fcr's return spring. So i pissed it off lol

I like the look of the cycra guards. Has anyone used the triple clamp mount kits? Are they better than the crm mounting?

Absolutely! The triple clamp mounts are super strong. The bar clamp style doesn't work very well with Pro Taper/Fat Bars as the clamp is right on the tapered part of the bar, so it doesn't get very good purchase. The triple clamp mount solves all that. I cut my bars down 1" and they still bolted right up no problem.

• cwallershasta

Posted April 22, 2013 - 12:22 PM

+1 for the Cycra pro bends.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 22, 2013 - 12:40 PM

CYCRA PROBENDS

• grayracer513

Posted April 25, 2013 - 08:46 AM

I have used the Cycra Pro bends for several years. I use the bar mounts for Pro Taper bars. What I love about them is that I have only had to replace one set of grips since I started using them, and that was because the actually survived long enough to wear out. That, and my fingers never get squished under the clutch lever in a fall. :blush:

They were a lot of work to get to fit right, though, and I had to do quite a bit of bending and tweaking to get them to sit where I wanted them without any strain built in by bolting them up. The only other complaint I had with them is the low profile Allen bolts they use on the bar ends. The heads are too shallow and soft, and the hexes round out too easily. I replace them with hex bolts.

Otherwise, they've been very tough and stay put reasonably well.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.