New to me WR400, help!

4 replies to this topic
  • Andcurt

Posted April 05, 2012 - 09:57 PM

Need to respring( and lose weight), 275, 6'2. Calculator says 6.4, what about fronts, do I really have to? Has lowering link( stock going back in)! Forks have been raised, how do I tell where to reset them at? Feels like shock might need some work, how do I check the pressure, oil? Thanks

• Rocky739

Posted April 07, 2012 - 07:18 AM

Need to respring( and lose weight), 275, 6'2. Calculator says 6.4, what about fronts, do I really have to? Has lowering link( stock going back in)! Forks have been raised, how do I tell where to reset them at? Feels like shock might need some work, how do I check the pressure, oil? Thanks

First you defintly want the non lowering link at 6'2" and put the forks flush with the top clamps. This will get things back to normal. Next at 275 lbs you will need some stiffer springs for sure, find a good suspension shop to do a complete service on both ends, Japanise shocks in perticular need to be serviced at least once a year due to the nitrogen leaking from the bladder into the damper oil, they can recommend the right springs and settings for your weight and riding style. I recommend CSR suspension http://csrsuspension.com but there are plenty of good shops around. You can do the forks yourself if your a good mechanic and have a seal driver and a couple other special tools but still better to let the pros do it. The rear shock is a different matter, you must have a shop do it as the oil must be bleed correcty to get the air out completely and the bladder must be correctly recharged with nitrogen, all this takes 1,000's of dollars worth of special tools and skills.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MANIAC998

Posted April 08, 2012 - 03:21 AM

Andcurt, Don't try to check the nitrogen pressure in the shock!!! Without the proper tools, you'll lose to much nitrogen if you try to check it. And I second the opinion that you need to send your suspension out. Springs are a must, if you want the bike to handle properly. And personally, I think it would be wise to have them completely revalved at the same time. With the springs required for your weight, they will store too much energy for the stock valving to be able to cope with, and this will have a negative effect on your suspension, especially rebound! Maniac

• Andcurt

Posted April 08, 2012 - 08:06 PM

Thank u for your comments. I bought my bike to keep up with my 7 year old on his xr70 and only paid $1500( sure it will need work). Will have to save up but will look into a good shop. Anyone have any recommendations in Vancouver,B.C.? Does a dealer do this work or is a specialty shop best?

• Rocky739

Posted April 09, 2012 - 03:52 PM

Yes many dealers do suspension. I would find a dealer that specializes in offroad suspension and not just any local shop as they can do more harm than good. Don't trust anyone that tries to sell you any aftermarket stuff ;ie, gold valves etc... A good shop will use high quality springs and and simply revalve your existing stuff if needed and you will be fine. It's the best money you can spend on a bike next to new tires!
Don't forget to check your linkage and replace any worn parts also.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.