Yamaha blue frame paint

8 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted April 05, 2012 - 07:50 AM

I'm having a hard time finding it... I thought PJ1 sold an OEM kit that consisted of a couple cans- base coat/clear coat type thing. Wanting to get the 426 finished up and down the road but the frame looks not so great. If I can't find the OEM blue I'm just going to paint it black I suppose. Any tips on where to find the OEM blue paint?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 05, 2012 - 09:23 AM

This is what you need. Its the exact match.

http://www.colorrite...-dpbmc-1905.cfm

For those of you who don't know, there are many good paints out there and may good ways to apply them. If you do not intend to prep it correctly, then don't bother. It won't last past a few washes.

use a wire wheel/brush to get rid of the rust. The metal must be shiny underneath. Use an etching primer to cover the bare metal. Use some steel wool to scuff up the painted areas. Then use a primer / sealer over the painted areas. Let it dry thoroughly and then apply the blue paint on top. Apply multiple thin coats 15-20 mins apart. I was able to go over it 4 times.

Don't forget the clear coat. DO NOT USE A LACQUER CLEAR COAT. It will screw up everything. I prefer a non-yellowing enamel clear coat because its simple to work with. But, a urethane clear coat will work great also. Again, light coats. I used 3/4 can of enamel clear. coa Follow the instructions carefully. Then let it dry til I couldn't smell it anymore which took over a week. It has to harden. (remember, paint that smells is still wet paint!)

There are other methods and approaches to take. But I only use rattle cans.

You probably already know this, but I said it just to give others an idea of how to prep for painting.

Posted Image

Edited by mauricedorris, April 05, 2012 - 09:39 AM.

• idle_mind

Posted April 05, 2012 - 09:39 AM

Just rebuilt my 426. I had my frame powder coated. The blue they used was a Mopar blue and I think it looks awesome. It actually matches the OEM reflex blue plastic better I think.

Posted Image

• cowboyona426

Posted April 05, 2012 - 10:20 AM

mauricedorris, thanks for the link! But $35 for a single can of paint... ouch. Since this bike is a flip I don't know that I want to spend that much for frame paint. First things first I guess is to get the motor back together and make sure the parts that are supposed to move do this time (the shop has had a hard time with the crank on this bike).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fast Doc

Posted April 05, 2012 - 10:40 AM

Nice results and good advise gentlemen. I restored my 400 and used the Color Rite paint. It's even more pricey when they charge like $20 to ship it. Hazmat. Like it's anthrax or something. In any event it's the only act in town so it is what it is.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 05, 2012 - 11:24 AM

mauricedorris, thanks for the link! But $35 for a single can of paint... ouch. Since this bike is a flip I don't know that I want to spend that much for frame paint. First things first I guess is to get the motor back together and make sure the parts that are supposed to move do this time (the shop has had a hard time with the crank on this bike).

I hear ya.. it is a bit pricey. But... its looks like new.

I have my own major project going on with my 05 wr450. I'm doing a complete frame up restoration (or reconditioning). After seven years of riding, I accumulated quite a long list of things that need to be replace to make it look brand new again. http://www.thumperta...e-lots-of-pics/

Once I got it down to the frame, I soon realized that the good powdercoats in my area are about $250. No way I'm paying that. So I tried the frame paint instead and as you can see, it looks pretty good. I saved over two hundred dollars which has now been spent on other things.

Like you, I intend to sell my wr450.

You may not be motivated to do this later, so you might as well do it now.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 05, 2012 - 11:55 AM

Yes it should be done, but I need to keep a profit margin in this dang thing. As it is with all the parts I've had to replace and the labor for having the new rod kit installed my profit is going to be pretty thin.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 05, 2012 - 01:38 PM

Yes it should be done, but I need to keep a profit margin in this dang thing. As it is with all the parts I've had to replace and the labor for having the new rod kit installed my profit is going to be pretty thin.

I hear ya... I also plan to sell my wr450 and I need to watch the costs. But, the way it was looking was scaring everyone off.

I would think that you could search for a close enough blue paint. If its a 10 year old bike, then a can of chevy cobalt blue oem paint for $8 at O'Reilys or AutoZone may be pretty close. There's also the basic black or gun metal grey that matches everything. But a color change would mean a full strip to the frame. I considered all of this before deciding the direction I was going to go. Then a friend gave me his leftover paint.

Good luck on your project

• cowboyona426

Posted April 05, 2012 - 02:48 PM

The bike is already stripped to the frame. I just don't know how much more time/effort/dough I want to sink into it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.