Does anyone make a dual sport kit for the 2012 WR450?

19 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted April 04, 2012 - 03:48 PM

I emailed Baja Designs today and they said they don't make a kit for them and don't have plans to do so in the future.

• dustdogg

Posted April 04, 2012 - 04:00 PM

I would be suprised if Baja Designs had no plans to make a kit for the new WR but I could be wrong. It seems like it would be a hot seller. After all not every state is as screwed up as California when it comes to dual sporting bikes. Oh I just noticed you are not even in the US. If the Baja Designs option is out why not look at the Tusk kit
http://www.rockymoun...+DUAL+SPORT+KIT or buy individal components and build your own? Once you have the harness and switch everything else can be customized. I'm sure as time goes on there will be more options but for now the bike is so new most people havn't even seen one other than the internet and mags.

Edited by dustdogg, April 04, 2012 - 04:14 PM.

• Rocky739

Posted April 04, 2012 - 04:27 PM

I'm using the Tusk harness from Rocky mountain right now to convert my 2003, it's not super easy if you aren't fairly handy at wiring but I have mine working including high/low beam on the headlamp and a sweet Polsport LED tail/brake light extension on a YZ fender.
It's far from a plug and play deal in my opinion but way eaiser that doing everything from scrach as I couldn't buy the wire for what it costs!

• GlennR

Posted April 04, 2012 - 05:25 PM

I have a "Just Barely" kit on my 08'. Was installed by the original owner. Seems high quality. http://rycomoto.com/wr2007.aspx $385 seems too expensive though.

• 123honus

Posted September 11, 2012 - 06:32 AM

I just bought the "headlight horn tusk switch", the brake light switch, and a horn.

There was no harness needed. Just tap into what you have.
The 2012 WR450 comes with a high/low headlight bulb, and dual filament rear light bulb.

Now I have the stock lights plus high beam, brake light and horn for about $50.

I made an aluminum bracket to attach to the fender for the license plate holder.
The aluminum was free from my scrap box.

This is enough to get it street legal in Michigan.
No signal lights, but I did not want them.

Oh I forgot, Kenda 760 tires for the DOT label. Another $100.
Wow what a street legal ride.

• Baja Designs

Posted September 12, 2012 - 08:46 AM

Hey guys just wanted to show you our Dual sport kit minus headlight for the new WRs
http://www.bajadesig...emNumber=121234
It comes with the standard DOT blinkers but can be swapped out for our different LED turn signal options
Dont forget forum members receive 10% off
Please let me know if you have any questions
Thanks
Mike
BD

• Monk

Posted September 12, 2012 - 09:00 AM

I emailed Baja Designs today and they said they don't make a kit for them and don't have plans to do so in the future.

Apparently plans of have changed!!! Good luck with your DS....

• grunkthump

Posted September 13, 2012 - 10:11 AM

THAT looks fantastic!

• ktm sxc 625

Posted September 15, 2012 - 04:12 AM

Try sicass racing I just did my 11 wr 450, I know there are changes but talk to John there I am sure he can get you setup.
www.sicassracing.com

• 123honus

Posted September 17, 2012 - 05:18 AM

Just buy the Tusk stuff.
It is a great value and you can pick what you need for your state.
You can buy the whole kit, but it may not be necessary.
Why spend over 300 when you can get buy for half of that?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kawi380

Posted September 17, 2012 - 07:18 AM

:jawdrop: Is that baja designs kit really $374. No way would I ever buy that. Just get a tusk kit and use what you need. Installing some blinkers and switches is not rocket science. :prof:

• mccorb

Posted May 10, 2013 - 05:09 AM

I am about to pull the trigger on buying a wr450f. I need it street legal so am looking at the Baja Design kit and the Tusk kit. It looks like from the pictures that the Baja Design kit has a key and the Tusk kit does not but I can't really tell. Does the wr450 have an ignition key? Does anyone know what is the deal here? I guess I would like to be able to go into a gas station or convenience store and have the bike still there when I came out.

Any advice is appreciated.

• DuncR6

Posted May 10, 2013 - 05:14 AM

:jawdrop: Is that baja designs kit really $374. No way would I ever buy that. Just get a tusk kit and use what you need. Installing some blinkers and switches is not rocket science. :prof:

Yeah it's really hard to justify spending that much money when you can make it street legal yourself for about a 1/3rd of that (using OEM parts.)

• motoxer667

Posted May 15, 2013 - 12:22 PM

I am about to pull the trigger on buying a wr450f. I need it street legal so am looking at the Baja Design kit and the Tusk kit. It looks like from the pictures that the Baja Design kit has a key and the Tusk kit does not but I can't really tell. Does the wr450 have an ignition key? Does anyone know what is the deal here? I guess I would like to be able to go into a gas station or convenience store and have the bike still there when I came out.

The WR doesn't have a Key. I can tell you from putting on two tusk kits that I would rather pay the extra money and get a good kit. I put a SICASS Racing kit on my bike and a friend of mine who also has a '12 WR put one on his too (he got turn signals). Plug and Play. Where on the TUSK kit I have had to splice wires in.
http://sicassracing.com/store/

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 16, 2013 - 06:36 AM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q... dual sport kit

• GP1K

Posted May 16, 2013 - 07:59 AM

The WR doesn't have a Key. I can tell you from putting on two tusk kits that I would rather pay the extra money and get a good kit. I put a SICASS Racing kit on my bike and a friend of mine who also has a '12 WR put one on his too (he got turn signals). Plug and Play. Where on the TUSK kit I have had to splice wires in.
http://sicassracing.com/store/

Hey thanks for the info. I'm thinking of playing my '12 and was looking at Baja Designs, but the Sicass kit looks just as good but cheaper and easier... win/win!

• motoxer667

Posted May 16, 2013 - 09:21 AM

Hey thanks for the info. I'm thinking of playing my '12 and was looking at Baja Designs, but the Sicass kit looks just as good but cheaper and easier... win/win!

The guys at SICASS are great too. SICASS also has a key that you can add to your bike if you want

Edited by motoxer667, May 16, 2013 - 09:21 AM.

• William1

Posted May 16, 2013 - 11:56 AM

The tusk kit does not float the ground, so they save on sending you a reg/rect. Also, it does not use any mating connectors. You are on your own. With all these kits, you do more or less, get what you pay for. The Tusk kit is fine for minimal road worthy in states that are not stringent. The Baja kits now all include a key switch. Sicass and BD are both good setups, both have strong and weak points.
BD is a TT sponsor and discount to TT members.

• Mlc450f

Posted May 16, 2013 - 12:52 PM

I have the Baja kit and really like the quality of all the pieces. Just kissed a tree with my tail section and tore off the signal stalk. Easily replaceable - because of the design, when the signal and stalk got torn off, the wiring just unclipped leaving everything else in tack - repair was a piece of cake, just needed a new stalk. Smart to design this part in a module way vs solid state. I'm impressed.

Edited by Mlc450f, May 16, 2013 - 12:56 PM.

• Mlc450f

Posted May 16, 2013 - 01:03 PM

...Baja kit has a key.
Flexible signal stalks are good quality, and as mentioned above being modular/ when they break repairs are easy. My only wish is to make the signals smaller, and stalk even more flexible.
I prefer the tear drop style to the rectangle style, however it appears that the replacement lenses only come for the rectangular style.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.