Is this WR safe for a new rider?

12 replies to this topic
  • playingbass

Posted April 04, 2012 - 05:20 AM

Buddy is picking up an 02 WR 426 this afternoon.

It's equipped with some knobby D739's.

Ive never ridden full blown knobbies on the street before which is where he's going to be doing the majority of his riding at first. Do you think they will cause him any trouble? This is his first bike ever.

Thanks!!

• GlennR

Posted April 04, 2012 - 05:44 AM

IMO, the street is a bad place to learn, and especially on a WR.

I'd recommend a smaller bike and a big grassy flat field. Gravel & asphalt are painful. Cars kill bikers, with years of experience. The WR is too powerful & tall for a beginner. Knobbies are for dirt.

How many poor choices can a beginner make at once ????? Somebody should buy life insurance on him, much better odds than winning the lotto.

Seriously, talk some sense into him.

• Stealth13

Posted April 04, 2012 - 06:08 AM

Buddy is picking up an 02 WR 426 this afternoon.

It's equipped with some knobby D739's.

Ive never ridden full blown knobbies on the street before which is where he's going to be doing the majority of his riding at first. Do you think they will cause him any trouble? This is his first bike ever.

Thanks!!

I ride knobs on the street... They just wear faster. Take him to a field to get used to throttle control first because that bike can flip him over if not careful.

• zibbit u2

Posted April 04, 2012 - 06:48 AM

tell him to learn to ride that bike offroad FIRST. if he crashes, lays bike down, hits a tree, clocks the bike, etc... then as long as he's wearing protection, he should fair ok. But, if he's on pavement with cars around, and does the same... he's done. Plain and simple.

• fantom

Posted April 04, 2012 - 08:09 AM

Not a good bike to learn on, mine is a handfull. If I was teaching a buddy to ride it, I'd at least put the wr throttle stop back in and hook the grey wire back up.
Throw a set of shinko 705's on it, about 100 bucks for the set, will fit the mx rims, and way better street grip than the knobbies.

• travertt

Posted April 04, 2012 - 08:32 AM

Amen to all the previous posters.

Do not let your friend "learn" how to handle this bike on the street with knobbys. NOT a good idea!!!

Learn in a field somewhere....with full potection. If the majority of his riding will be on the street....get some less aggressive, dual purpose DOT approved tires that are more focused on the street.

Bikes don't kill bikers...cars kill bikers.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stealth13

Posted April 04, 2012 - 08:56 AM

As long as they go easy on the throttle it will be fine, when I was learning I rode my buddies yz450 for a while , just never hammered on the gas and did good.

• GlennR

Posted April 04, 2012 - 09:55 AM

If he's planning to ride mostly street why's he getting a WR?

• playingbass

Posted April 04, 2012 - 11:05 AM

Hey thanks for all the responses guys.

I was kinda thinking the same thing as those fo you that are suggesting different tires.

He's going to be learning in parking lots near his house and whatnot. Once he is comfortable he'll be riding out of town to our offroad spots.

Ive given him one lesson so far on my modded DRZ and he is a natural. He's starting off real slow and cautious. Full gear.

• zibbit u2

Posted April 04, 2012 - 02:14 PM

I'd say you'd want him to start on a DRZ.. not a WR.

• playingbass

Posted April 13, 2012 - 01:46 PM

Yah ...good news!

He got an 06 DRZ SM instead =)

• travertt

Posted April 13, 2012 - 07:38 PM

Smart!!

• aussieklx

Posted April 13, 2012 - 07:58 PM

426 would have to be the most unsuitable learners bike lol

Drz is perfect imo real easy bike to ride

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.